Fuel leaking out of injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel leaking out of injectors

Hey,

My Buddies 7.3 IDI is leaking out of the injectors, the piece that has hoses running to the injectors. Could something came loose, orings? Any tricks of the trade i should know about before i tackle this job? I did not want to just grab a wrench and try and tighten it in feer of breaking something else on the truck.

Today was a full set of belts, and the alt took a crap, so the alt is for another day.

Thanks for the info in advace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Those are the return line caps. You can get a return line kit and replace all of them. Each injector also has two rubber O-rings on it that the seals the black plastic return line cap. You can get a kit through any auto parts store. They are pretty expensive, so getting one online is cheaper. I also know a guy who I have bought lots from, kinda down on his luck so he is selling/doing many things for online people with IDI's. I bought my return line kit from NAPA (truck was down, needed it that day) for $100. He is selling them for around $40. Pm me if you want to get one through him, his name is Russ, a real nice guy.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for the reply. I will have to see what my buddie says about fixing it. It looks like a PITA to do, plus bleed off the air. In all honesty, I do not really want to do the job. He only pays me 10 an hour to mow, landscape or work on trucks.... to do this job, I want more, and I know he will not do it, so maybe he should pay a diesel mechanic to do it!!!!!!!!!!!! ummmm.... lets see, 4 injectors leaking, ????? parts, and at $71 an hour.... ummm... he will pay a lot more, even if he would pay me 20, to 30 an hour....

Oh well... I guess it is better than nothing.... but I will wait until it warms up, and not snow flying around. Beside, not my diesel leaking out!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First time I did it it took about an hour and a half, I'm at about half that now. Take off the hard lines. The caps just pop off with a screw driver. Cut the old O-rings out, and roll the new ones on. Put the caps onto the injector and make sure they click down all the way. Take the long rubber line, and cut pieces to fit in between each cap. Put two clamps on each rubber return line hose, put it on. To bleed, put the hard injector lines on, but not tight. Get into the cab, and crank for about ten seconds. Go out and look at the injectors, if there is a noticable amount of fuel at each injector, tighten the hard line down. Crank until each one has fuel. It should then start.

I've had mine running on 5 cylinders. Cranked it for 10 seconds to bleed it, and 5 injectors had fuel. Tightened the lines down. Went into the cab to crank more to get fuel to the other injectors, and it started up. Talk about a lope!

Its actually a really easy process. May seem complicated but its really, really easy.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i had 3 injectors leaking on mine when i purchased it about a 3 months ago. I just replaced the o rings on the leaky ones for about 16 cents a o ring at the ford dealership. I didnt have to blead the system afterward, just put back together and it started right up. should take less than an hour if you have all the o rings. hardest thing for me was finding a place to sit on the engine since my short *** couldnt reach the ones in the back.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

seams strait forward. My buddy is getting a kit from NAPA. it has all the orings, all the plastic things, hose, clamps.... everything I need. Now I just need some warmer weather! but we are expecting another snow storm. The weather men have not siad how much, how bad.... they just keep bumping the days... It was to hit tonight, but now sunday night... Maybe I will take the truck to my moms house, and pull it part way in. Then at least if I drop a part, I can find it on cement, and not have to crawl in the snow!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

all done

well, I went ahead and got it done. aobut 1.5 hours of work, not too bad. I got all the drivers side done, fired it up, let it run for about 5 minutes, shut it down, and got the pass. side done.

never did have to bleed the fuel system!!!! it just fired right up. I would imagine if I had to bleed the fuel system, add another half hour to hour. I was by my self!!!

Thanks for the help and pointers.... PS. I used a dental tool to get out the old orings! now it is time to tinker with the fuel pump to add more power
Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My kit came with some copper washers. What are those for?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 PM

I have a 92 7.3 idi and it has an injector leaking on the pass side rear of the engine. Looks to be a pretty good little leak.. Could this cause a bad miss and low power? Just raw fuel smell no blue smoke or anything like that. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.