Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ether to start 1990 E350

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  archaslade 
#1 ·
Hi every one. This is my first post here and it may be an interesting one. I just purchased a 1990 E350 with a 7.3 IDI non turbo. I have had the powerstroke before and loved it.

But any way, here's my problem. first of all This non turbo is all new to me. Second, the previous owner would use a shot of ether to start the van in the mornings. he was the one and only owner and seemed to take care of the van really well but now unless i squirt some ether in the air intake it wont start. and even then it take almost ten second of cranking. i know this isnt normal and want to correct the problem.

in general its really hard to start whether its hot or cold. and since we are in florida it never really is cold.

once you start it in the morning the rest of the day it is fine.

so.....any input would be great..

also since the layout on the van 7.3l is a little different that the f series, does anyone know if the procedure for turning up the fuel is any different or not.

thanks for any insight...

See less See more
#3 ·
After you replace the relay and I would test the glow plugs too the other thing that causes problems on the idi engines is bad grounds so I would clean and check all of the ground wires on the engine just one of those things that can drive a guy crazy if there bad. Good luck with the van

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.