Ether to start 1990 E350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ether to start 1990 E350

Hi every one. This is my first post here and it may be an interesting one. I just purchased a 1990 E350 with a 7.3 IDI non turbo. I have had the powerstroke before and loved it.

But any way, here's my problem. first of all This non turbo is all new to me. Second, the previous owner would use a shot of ether to start the van in the mornings. he was the one and only owner and seemed to take care of the van really well but now unless i squirt some ether in the air intake it wont start. and even then it take almost ten second of cranking. i know this isnt normal and want to correct the problem.

in general its really hard to start whether its hot or cold. and since we are in florida it never really is cold.

once you start it in the morning the rest of the day it is fine.

so.....any input would be great..

also since the layout on the van 7.3l is a little different that the f series, does anyone know if the procedure for turning up the fuel is any different or not.

thanks for any insight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i had to do that with mine. replaced the glow plug relay with a napa relay for about 30 bucks and things worked just fine after that. in mine the glow plug light came on and would turn off but the relay was bad so the glow plugs were not getting the signal.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
After you replace the relay and I would test the glow plugs too the other thing that causes problems on the idi engines is bad grounds so I would clean and check all of the ground wires on the engine just one of those things that can drive a guy crazy if there bad. Good luck with the van
Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. I got the Napa relay today and plan on replacing all the glow plugs too.

I agree on the grounds, I've had other vehicles drive me crazy because of a loose ground.

well, thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.