Motor locked up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motor locked up

I have a 92 F-250 4x4 7.3L idi. I was driving down the highway when i heard a loud pop and my truck started shaking violently. My first thought was that a U-joint had went out but after inspecting it and turning the truck back on the whole truck was still shaking and running really rough. I got it back home and was doing some investigating. I drained the oil and there were no signs of metal shavings or chips. The oil smelt like it had burnt or had gotten really hot. My dad suggested that we drain the rest of the oil, change the filter and refill the oil. I just did this today and started it up and let it run for a few minutes to circulate the oil thinking that it might have just got hot and started getting sticky. Well after letting it run for about 2 minutes i hear a really loud pop and it locked up. Dad said he thinks the crank bearing went out or the piston broke. Now my question is, what should I do? I figure i have 3 options. 1) Pull the motor...find out whats wrong and attempt to rebuild it.
2) Look into getting a new motor. If a 7.3L turbo diesel will fit...put one of those in it, or look into getting another 7.3L idi. 3) Part it out or sell it as is. Everything is good in it except the motor. It has a 5spd Manual transmission.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point....i'm just not sure what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Have you tried to put something on the crack on the front of the engine and turn it manually in either direction? The starter will only spin in operatior direction. If it wont spin at all then you will be looking at a new motor, or at least a rebuild. If it were me and the truck was in good shape, id talk to some of the powerstroke boys about fitment in these old hogs....If your going to go that far, you might as well get the power from the newer motors. On the other hand, if you decide to part it out, let me know, I would be interested in the transmission and flywheel.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I havent tried to turn it manually but im going to guess its locked up by the sound it made when it had its come apart the other day....its not in amazing shape but its not a complete junker....as far as parting it out im not sure what im going to do yet...still trying to decide but if i decide to go that route ill be sure to let ya know.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTBBlackSmoke View Post
I havent tried to turn it manually but im going to guess its locked up by the sound it made when it had its come apart the other day....its not in amazing shape but its not a complete junker....as far as parting it out im not sure what im going to do yet...still trying to decide but if i decide to go that route ill be sure to let ya know.
Pull her out. Yank the motor, take it apart and see what you can find. If the piston broke, you cuold be looking at some valve problems, and cylinder problems. On an old IDI, you may just wanna throw in a DIT
Old 12-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well ive been doing some searching and found another motor for sale. It happens to have the same mileage that mine did when it blew up so im going to get it wednesday. I'll start work on it a day or 2 after christmas most likely. If anyone knows where i could find a step by step guide to pulling one of these motors out of the truck could ya send me a link? Thanks yall.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Emergency Services

IDI Pop

Pull the valve covers before you go pulling the engine. You may have a broken push rod. I had this happen in my 7.3 stroke and it had the exact same symptoms.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

SAme as any motor. Pull wire harness, fuel lines, radiator, exhaust, fan, hoses, hook up to hoist, pull motor mounts, disconnect tranny, support tranny and away you go. Read this backwards for install.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well...i have finally managed to get my new motor in...its a 94 idi non turbo....everything has went fine except for a few wiring issues that i had to get worked out....So i was down to turning it over and it running right? Cranked on it a while and nothing...got to doing some research on bleeding the lines of air...did what was suggested still nothing....So then i started tracing back from my motor to find where the fuel wasnt getting through...only thing that could be stopping it would be the fuel tank selector switch....talked to a diesel mechanic and he said there shouldnt be a problem with the switch and that i have probably gotten some frozen water in my lines/tank somewhere...So i guess my only other option from here is to get some heat under it and hope that it thaws out...if thats even the problem...if anyone else can think of something that could be wrong i'd appreciate the input...I do know its not the fuel pump on the motor because i replaced it and its workin fine...so its somewhere behind there.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:24 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Keep us updated, disconnect the GPR and try starter fluid... see if it fires on that.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It will fire when i use starter fluid....and just a question but how would disconnecting the GPR help? asking because im tryin to learn :p

Last edited by WTBBlackSmoke; 02-06-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.