Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

'92 F250 XLT

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  haimehhh 
#1 ·
I'm stationed in Rhode Island, searching for an OBS 7.3 idi, found a '92 F250 XLT, 2 owners, 113,300 miles, asking $9,500.

Below is the list of work the current owner has performed:

"never plowed, thick frame, all cross members shackles and spring hangers are solid I started undercoating frame but never finished, full repaint with bed off all jams etc are done so its clean from far away and 5 feet away, drivers extended cab lower section was cut out and replaced due to rear window leak, new rear window and front window, one window motor, replaced headliner, removed complete interior to clean and detail, repainted factory rubber floor, 96 style interior lamp, new rear tank, fuel lines from dual tank valve to engine, rear carrier bearing, rear axle cover, rear drums, shoes, wheel cylinders and seals, brake spring kit, all ebrake cables, rear and front brake hoses and brake lines, trans lines, front rotors, repack front bearings, front pads and new calipers, changed manual hubs, all four shocks, one outer tie rod and sleeve was replaced, upgraded to factory aluminum wheels and center caps, lost running boards and added carr steps, oil cooler was replaced, new injector caps w/orings and injector return hoses, only had one bad glow plug, batteries, serpentine belt and tensioner. Im sure there is more but that's all I can thing of, the bumper was on my 95 f350 its made of 1/2" plate with 3/16 diamond plate skin and made up stainless plate holder, it is a beauty. I never have needed to plug this truck in which in my opinion is unheard of for a 7.3, doesn't smoke not even cold or with a trailer in tow, no leaks, smooth ride

truck has AC and cruise which is intact but I never diagnosed why it doesn't work, every thing else on truck works as it should otherwise it needs nothing"

I'll be looking at it next weekend, as well as taking it to ford for a purchase inspection.

Does the '92 have a serpentine accessory belt? I've have also read about cavitation issues and the primary red flag seems to be anything other than full of coolant- does anyone have specific tips for checking the system out when looking to buy? Is it concerning that he did the injector caps and o-rings or should I only be concerned if they're showing signs of leakage currently?

I feel $9,500 is high, and I see folks on here picking up deals for a couple hundred up to $2-3000 and getting reliable daily drivers out of them. Am I just a beggar trying to be a chooser?

Pictures are below.

New to diesels here so thanks all in advance for any tips and advice.

James

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
What Cloverleaf said. Go get a super duty 7.3. You will be better off in my opinion.

#7 · (Edited)
Truck's purpose is a daily driver, motorcycle mover, camping/fishing, occasional boat tower. I don't pull a bunch, and between deployments and work ups I don't put a ton of miles on each year.

My mechanical knowledge comes from forums such as these. I work on bikes but diesels are mostly new to me to a degree (lots of diesel ships in the Navy).

My goal is to get a clean truck that I can rely on from day 1, but can bombproof and maintain til 1,000,000 miles (or close as I can get). looking for crew cab or 4-dr, 4x4 F250, 7.3 (considering IDI- not gonna be doing much towing- and PS models).

Budget kinda depends on what I find. A killer deal is always desirable but would I pay a little premium to drive off in a truck that hits all my wickets? Probably.

I'm reading a few different projects, threads, and tips on here and absorbing as much as I can

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.