Oil Pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Pressure

Hello,

I'm the (soon to be proud) new owner of a '87 F250 with a 6.9L Powerstroke. My question is concerning my oil pressure. When i start the engine, the oil pressure reads normal, but when the engine warms up, and i drive with a constant speed, i can literaly watch the oil needle drop down below the normal area. When driving on the highway in 5th gear (about 55-60 MPH, @ 2K RPM) the oil needle drops lower than the RED mark on the gage. I've just had the oil flushed and replaced with adequate oil, and the cooling system was also flushed out. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions before I take it to FORD. The odometer says 34,000 but who knows how many hunderd thousand miles it has.

My reaction is to think crankshaft bearings worn, but this is my first diesel.

Thanks for any assistance.

F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned

u will want to take a manual oil pressure reading to comfirm your suspitions...but if it truely loses oil pressure warm...then you are probably right
Old 11-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so i am correct in my belief that oil pressure goes up with RPM? Haven't had a car with an oil gage in (wow) 9 years.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update:

I got my truck back from FORD, the mechanic found that the wire from the sending unit was being pinched, creating the affect on the gage and my paranoia. All is fine, and ford did thier normal inspection, so I am now a proud new owner of my first FORD.

F
Old 06-06-2009, 05:01 AM

I have the same oil pressure problem with mine. I do not think is a problem though. Maybe someone can clarify this for me. The 1987 6.9 uses piston skirt oilers that bleed off at low RPM. Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction? I called the mechanic that worked on the truck before I owned it.

My plans for this truck are WVO. Does anyone out there a 6.9 running on WVO. It already has two tanks. This should make it easy to do. Should the injectors be replaced for WVO?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

your 6.9 has nozzles that spray oil on the bottom of the pistons to keep them cool all the time. if i remember right, hot idle oil psi should be around 10 and wot should be 38-40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.