Only starts plugged in. Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Only starts plugged in. Help

Got a buddies cube van with a 6.9L. Will only start while plugged in for about 30 mins and longer. Replaced glowplugs, direct wired in a switch to control the glow plugs. 12V at the glow plugs, 12V on both large posts on the GPR while the glow plug button is pressed. Glow plug controller eliminated. Just cranks and cranks unless the block heater is utilized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 PM

Poke and hope:

Poor fuel atomization?

IIIRC the old 6.9s had a huge ring end gap, depending on how many hours on the motor it could be leaking compression.

It still sounds like a gp issue tho

Edit:
My folks had one with an ATS turbo package. The gp control relay was a pos. It would pop on and off like crazy. If it sat for any time it was an SOB to start. Had to cycle the GPS a few times or it would just flood. That's in CA, where it doesn't get cold.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by Teachagmech; 01-21-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Cowboy

When he is cranking it, is any smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Is it still stock mechanical fuel pump or electric? Any air intrusion problems?

What brand glow plugs did you put in? How old are they? Did you check each glow plugs seperately so that you know each is working? To me I would think it might be fuel related but if it starts perfectly fine when you have it on the block heater then obviously it has to be glow plug related.

There is only a few things to get these trucks to start especially if it starts fine once plugged in.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

how long do you hold the switch for your glow plugs? try for around 30 seconds. also if you wire the glow plug module back up. how long will it glow before it goes to clicking?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM

That's why it's so confusing to me. It's mechanical fuel. I first thought it was a fuel issue too. The glow plugs are new but they are also Bosch. I told him to grab some Motorcraft GPs. measured each glow plug. 12V to each and something like 25amps. Glow plug relay run on push button in cab. runs 12V for the duration of the button being pushed. Little bit of raw diesel smoke during cranking but nothing like my OBS 7.3L powerstroke. I'm not too familiar with the injector system in these trucks. Is it a Heui system or high pressure fuel?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Its an injection pump. No Heui no HPCR just old school stanadyne injection pump. if you're smokin diesel then you're either not glowing long enough or GP's are weak (even though new). I've never used aftermarket GP's. I've never heard anything good.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

ah one more thing. I've seen where the solenoid appears to be sending volts to the GP's but doesnt send enough amps. If you take off the breather and jump the solenoid with say a screwdriver will that start it? Inside the solenoid is nothing but a washer the jumps up and contacts both posts. Sometimes they get a bad spot in them causing this symptom
Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemiester View Post
ah one more thing. I've seen where the solenoid appears to be sending volts to the GP's but doesnt send enough amps. If you take off the breather and jump the solenoid with say a screwdriver will that start it? Inside the solenoid is nothing but a washer the jumps up and contacts both posts. Sometimes they get a bad spot in them causing this symptom
If it's got arc spots you can clean them up with a little emry if you can get it apart. I don't remember what that one looks like

Sent from a phone that makes calls too!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 PM

My friend is gonna trade me work on his truck for work on my Motorcycle since he's a custom Motorcycle shop owner. I think for the cost of a new relay I'd go that route. I get a pretty decent discount through my shop. I'd still be curious to see if they make a bigger GPR.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 AM
Cowboy

Tell your friend to pull those GP's when he gets it going, anything but stock ones which are Beru ZD9's can cause nothing but issues. Either overheating and shorting out very fast or swelling in the head.

I REPEAT nothing but stock Beru ZD9's.

If you aren't a member of oilburners.net, head on over there. They are the absolute best forum when it comes to the idi trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.