INFORMATION ON THE ANTIQUE 6.9 F-350 4X4 PLEASE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
INFORMATION ON THE ANTIQUE 6.9 F-350 4X4 PLEASE

I have a chance to buy a 1986 F-350 Dually CC 4x4 Auto, called "Centurion". I am thinking about restoring it to NEW CONDITION if I buy it. Can anyone tell me about these trucks Please?

1) Fuel consumption on the 6.9 non Turbo diesel? Good or Bad?
2) Weaknesses in these trucks in body or running gear?
3) Front end looks a bit different, is that front diff OK?
4) Transfer Case OK in these trucks?
5) Could I buy a new or good rebuilt 6.9? Or is it just getting to old?
6) It has a C-6 auto in it, supposedly upgraded with a tow package... If the 6.9 is tired would a non turbo 7.3 fit in the bolt patterns?

Overall what is their reputation in the U.S.A.? This was a Texas Truck, no rust, straight body, and I was thinking of a full restoration to as new condition with NO ELECTRONICS on board.... A work horse for the remotest part of the Outback.. What do you think??????????????????

Thank you very much for your response, in advance, , from Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
I'm not sure about the weakness's but the 6.9 was a good motor too. As far as I know it should still have the same bellhouse pattern as a 7.3. I don't remember there being 2 different c6 bellhousings.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 PM

Thank you Mr. John Wayne... He was my Hero old JW...

Anyway, what miles do you get out of the 6.9? Is sort of 180,000 miles getting worn out? This one is 300,000 kms on the original untouched motor. What do you hear JW...

And thank you for the response. I am trying to see if it is worth doing a total restoration on or not... lone Ranger in Australia
Old 08-20-2008, 03:56 PM

6.9 will go forever. A friend of mine has one with 180,000 miles and it is running strong and his truck still looks brand new. The hardest part about restoring a 20+ year old vehicle is trying to find parts.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM

hey loneranger, dont know if your looking at getting a vehicle shipped to you but kinda wierd cause i saw this the other day on craigslist. its a centurion but a single rear wheel. might wanna check it out. pretty darn good price too.
1986 FORD F-350 CREWCAB DIESEL LIFTED W/ SNOW PLOW TRADES CONSIDERED
Old 08-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
I'm not sure ranger. I would think with good maintanance it would last just as long as you would like it too. I'll try to find some more info on the 6.9.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Jon

Hey

Whats up Ranger? Long time no chat! Hope everything is going good. The Centurion was just a fancy package you could get on these trucks. They sent them out to that company for the work. As for the truck there pretty good ol trucks. Not much in the fuel mileage dept but good trucks non the less.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 6.9 has 450000 miles on it and its still runing strong and tows anything i hitch to it and ive had no problums finding parts for it between napa and fleetsource
Old 08-23-2008, 08:48 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6.9's for the most part were good motors. If you want to restore it, I suggest you get an LMC truck catalogue, tons of parts.

6.9's with a good fuel system (ie good injectors, right timing, and good IP) will get fairly good fuel economy. But your looking at one with a C6, so depending on which rear end, could get anywhere from 12-16mpg. C6's are a strong tranny, but the torque converter never locks up, and dont have overdrive, hence the bad fuel economy. My truck when N/A got around 17mpg, but I have a T-19 4speed manual and 3.54 gears.

The body on these trucks are pretty good, no real major problems with them. The weakness in the powertrain, you dont have to worry about with a N/A IDI, it will last a long time with proper maintanance.

Dont know if its okay or not, we would need a pic. They have a TTB front diff, twin torrsion bar FYI. Basically kinda a independent front suspension. Some like it, others dont.

I would rebuild the 6.9 thats in it before buying new, its cheaper, and you can upgrade things in it.

Yup, a 7.3 will fit the exact same as the 6.9.

The weaknesses in the engine are, I would say most prominant are the stock head bolts/head gaskets. The head gasket design wasnt all that good from the factory, and blowing out head gaskets happens every once in a while. Some people do the head gaskets with the better upgraded head gaskets, and replace the head bolts with head studs (much stronger). The valve guides caused them to burn a little oil, by design. Normal oil consumption I would say would be around a quart every 500 miles. The glow plug controller on the 6.9 fails sometimes. It may fail in the off position, not sending power to the glow plugs, or on the on position sending power to the glow plugs which in turn would burn them up. The rockers werent the best design, some upgrade to the 7.3 rockers. The oil cooler sometimes starts to leak oil, which is more than likely caused by the O-rings going bad. The lift pump wears out sometimes, but that happens to all vehicles over time. Other than that, not much to worry about with the 6.9. I havent had any problems with mine and I've turbo'ed and turned it up (knock on wood )
Old 08-24-2008, 05:38 PM

Hello Ford Guy...

WOW What a great and thoughful analysis and response... That was very kind of you to take the time. I am really impressed. What a great Guy.!!!!

Thank you from Australia...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.