Boom, then Died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Boom, then Died

Have a 6.9, don't know what year, in a 93 truck. Bought it a couple of days ago, drove for 2hrs at 55 to 60mph, then boom, no power, died, won't restart. Looked at the belts, fuel, witres, everything LOOKS good, but I don't know. First 6.9 PO said he turned up the pump, don't know if he knew what he as doing. Can Injector Pumps be turned up to the point of self distructing? Mine looked like holy heck, so I bought a new one. Haven't reinstalled it yet. Truck did smoke when the throttle was used hard, but I tried to avoid this. Black smoke. Otherwise, no smoke at all. Does need new low plugs. Need ideas fast, thanks yall. How do you do a compression test? Pull the glow plugs or the injectors? What pressure should Ibe looking for? Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
First off you can turn the pumps up and yes they can fail on them. The black smoke means the truck is running good and pulling hard (sorda) we like it cause well it looks cool. Now to repair. You need to put it back together and see what kinda fuel pressure you have.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 PM

Fuel Pressure

Before I dismantled it, I checked fuel flow, made sure I was getting fuel past the filter by pushing in on the schrader valve, good. Loosened supply line at the IP, turned over, got fuel. Loosened up injector lines at heads, no fuel. Hoping it's the pump. What brand of fuel filter is recommended? I've used WIX on my PSD for years, any good luck with other brands? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
I am sure someone will be able to help out here.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cbmind, same problem

I've been working on mine ('86 F250, 6.9) since before Christmas.

At first, thought hard starting was air in the lines (it eventually fired up after a lot of cranking, but that deteriorated to 'no-start' status after a month or so) - now, I've bled lines everywhere, replaced the lift or transfer pump that sits low in the right side block before the fuel filter thinking pressure to the injector pump might be too low to prime it (or some such), all to no avail. Currently, there's fuel at the injector pump supply or intake port, and like you indicate, nothing at the injectors while cranking with the connections cracked.

I'm working alone and don't want to chance unbolting the injector pump (just had the darn thing rebuilt less than 50K ago). But, that may be the only option. Last time, I lost the injector pump timing because I couldn't get a perfect match-up for the pump shaft gear with crankshaft gears. Got lucky and limped to a diesle garage where they fixed the timing. Ran perfect for a while. Then this.

I've been told I can remove the pump at some 3-bolt plate and leave all the timing gears and housing in place, but I'm not sure I understand how that preserves the timing.

As an easier fix, I have heard recently that the whole thing is due to some sort of fuel cut-off solenoid I assume is attached to the injector pump which is stuck in the 'cut-off' position (like when you turn off the ignition key). That would explain the symptoms no fuel to the injector symptom.

If you figure out how to check for a bad solenoid or even what it looks like, I'd appreciate any tips.

I'll look at mine this afternoon.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cbmind, same problem update

Just got it running - good as ever. It was the fuel cut-off solenoid. The electrical contact was corroded and I squirted some WD-40 on the shaft that moves back and forth.

I may go back in if I have time to see just how the marginal solenoid (it's on the top, right (if sitting in the driver's seat) of the injector pump with a two-strand wire attached, really was. Seems as if all it has to lose is a very small, maybe 1/16" of movement to permit fuel to be cut-off when the ignition is on. The pump thinks you've turned off the ignition and is disabled from delivering to the injectors. It may well be a lot more involved than that, but if I'd known of that factor, I'd have checked before struggling through the lift pump replacement - a real knuckle buster, grinding down open-end wrenches for clearance, and lying on the cold ground for extended intervals.

What I can't quite figure is why the solenoid is in play at all when you step on the accelerator while cranking the engine to start. Seems to me that alone would rotate the cut-off ear and shaft away from the 'closed' position just like the solenoid should. Anyway, I thought it would be worth letting you know - I nearly replace the injector pump as a last resort and probably would still have had the problem.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the help BUT...wiring at IP

Thanks for all the help guys, finally got my parts in last week and installed today. However, I have a problem...I did not remove the Injector Pump a couple of weeks ago, afriend of mine did it for me. He;s unavailable to install the new one or be here for guidance, so I installed it myself. No problem. The problem I do have is witch connector goes where and how do I tell what's what? No wires are accurately labeled, harness has been butchered beyond belief, etc. I know witch connector is which on the pump itself, but do not know how tell which plug goes to what. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.