wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry wont start

i have 86 f250 2wd 6.9 i bought from a repo guy no key but can still turn on the truck had no oil on dip stick when he delivered it i pluged in block heater all night its 45dgres out still wont start glow plugs dont work i turned over engine lots of fuel press at filter but none at injectors its starts on eather keeps running good next day same thing no fuel to injecters can some one help me . my first diesel thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 05:47 PM

Sounds like you need a new fuel filter, buy a spare to keep in the truck also.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wont start

no the filter is not pluged like i said the press is good comin out also . that line goes down to meet all the injecter lines theres some kind of a box with two electric plugs i think from there to enjecters is the problem i opened the line at enjecter and no pressure do those wires shut the fuel off what do yu think if it were a mack or old cummins no problem for me thanks i hate using either to start it
Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 PM

If it starts with starting fluid and continues to run and will start back up once it's warmed up than you don't have a fuel problem it's a glow plug problem. The first thing I would do is to take one of the wires off of one of the glow plugs and test it for power. You will need someone to turn the key on as the 6.9 has a fast glow system and the wire will only be energized for 6-12 seconds so have the test light in place before turning the key to on. If you have power the next thing to check is the glow plugs. This can be done with a test light and the glow plugs still in the engine by removing the power wire from the glow plug hooking the test light lead up to the positive (+) side
of the battery and touching the tip of the test light probe to the top tip of the glow plug (make sure you don't touch the glow below the terminal tip or you will get a false reading) if the test light lights the glow plug is good if not it's bad. This works because the glow plug has a heating element in it and if it's good it will provide a ground for the test light at the glow plug terminal (tip of the glow plug) if it's bad the element will be burnt apart inside of the glow plug and it won't ground the test light
Hope this helps
Old 12-10-2007, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Red face wont start

thanks for info i will try that im sure there burnt out .someone put a horn button on dash for the plugs cause u dont need a key in ignition to start truck i had the heater pluged in for 24 hrs at 50 degres above 0 and still needed ether to start thanks again
Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if you plug this truck in and the heater is working , it may not be a glow plug problem
Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 AM

FYI, When you try to start it hold the throttle down to the floor and if you see white smoke out the tail pipe while it's cranking it's getting fuel just not enough heat to fire. Also if you keep that horn button to work the glow plugs don't hold it for more than 10 seconds at a time or your new glow plugs will burn up (fast glow plugs in the IDI motors were basicly 6 volt being given 12 volts for a short period so thay get hot really fast) The plugs in the powerstroke aren't like that thay will stay on up to 2 min after the wait light)
P.S. The IDI 6.9&7.3 require the throttle to be held down to fire in cold weather
Please keep me posted as I allways liked the IDI diesels and still have 2 of them
Old 12-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile wont start

yes i did whatyou said about glow plugs they dont work im sure of that its 24degres above 0 not pluged in used ether held down the pedel a little bit started up good run smooth no smoke of any kind come out of tail pipe so do you think its just my glow plugs i need also what are the two elect wire plugs doin down at that fuel thing were all the fuel lines are thanks for all your help its really helped me a lot this is the first small diesel motor for me as im retired trucker if it was a 250 cummins im sure i could start that thanks again
Old 12-10-2007, 04:47 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Does the horn button start the truck? It may not energize the glow plugs. Make sure you are getting power to the glowplug controller.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM

The two wires on the injection pump are: 1 is for the cold start advance and the other one is for the fuel shut off selenoid(I should learn how to spell)

I have had a lot of thoes 6.9 and 7.3 IDI's so I kinda of got used to the little querks thay have
Keep me posted
Dominic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.