6.9 are they still around???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking 6.9 are they still around????

hey their i got a 1984 f350 pre power stroke 6.9 liter diesel engine with a ups turbo kit and stack exhaust. need some good technical info on this truck that would be nice if anyone knows where i can get a coffee book or a good manual on troubleshooting this truck????? i have a no start problem but can't figure it out if its a glow plug issue or a injector issue, just put a new glow plug controller in it, but i had to put a 0 gauge wire on the ground of the controller because every time i started it, it kept burning the ground side out of the controller. have no clue, cause i don't think you can plus this ride in as easy as the newer power stroke like my 04 6.0f350 dually!?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes they ate still around. I have an 84 myself. I would start with cracking the injector lines at the injectors, turn it over and see If fuel comes out, of it does than It should start. If no fuel than back track from there till you find fuel. If you don't have someone to help then you need a push button starter and go from the battery to the starter solenoid to turn the engine over.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Talking 6.9 what a beast

but if the one injector is bad wouldn't fuel still come out of it? and i was wondering why the glow plug controller kept popping the fusible link on the ground side? maybe one of the glow plugs is ground out cause its bad?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It should start even if one of the injectors is bad. I was saying to crack the injector lines to rule out the injector pump. My glow plugs are actuated by a push butten on The dash. The early glow plug relay had a problem with not cutting off the juice to the plugs after the 30-45 seconds they are on.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Talking yeah

yeah alright i figured that out i appreciate it man. that helped i was just wondering its weird it will start with ether and run fine just hard as hell to start. maybe the shut off solenoid or the glow plugs. yeah mine activates the plugs by the key i should route it to the dash manually, probably be better.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm sure you've heard this before, but using ether on a glow plug system is not a good habit. I would plug in the block heater. Get the relay fixed and it sounds like you'll be good to go.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You can also get a volt meter, turn the key on and see how long you have 12 volts going through the gpr. If its only 5 secs then the plugs will never get hot.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:57 AM

Had an 87 with 6.9. It had wait to start light in dash to indicate glow plug circuit. When even 1 glow plug bad it would kick out the relay quickly. Was suprised how hard it started when 2 glow plugs out. I found bad individual glow plugs by hooking a wire to hot terminal of battery and touching other end of wire to disconnected glow plug while still in the engine. It should spark when wire touched to end of glow plug, if not, glow plug is shot.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Talking ether no good

well i know ether is bad but when ur stuck somewhere in the morning and it won't start than thats what has to happen lol i put a brand new glow plug controller in it cause one day at the pump i turned the key to wait for the light to go out and the controller got fire! literally it did not a big one. so i walked to a napa and bought a new one and instantly it busted the controller ground wire that looks twisted normally, i would imagine it is kind of a fuse able link. but i put a fat wire 0 gauge on the ground side of the controller and it doesn't it hot anymore. i found 3 bad glow plugs but don't get it why the controller got so hot. i need to pop the other injectors loose to verify the fuel first. just a odd problem, lol don't have those issues with my 6.0
Old 10-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i've got a buddy at work with an almost perfect '87 F350 6.9 with 121k original miles on it. it just sits in his back yard while he drives around in his old Dodge beater. i've been trying to buy it off him for over a year... he just smiles and says "nope". Sonofabi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.