Going to check it out.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Vinyl Sticker Guy

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Going to check it out..

Tommorow I'm going to check out a 1986 6.9L diesel in my area. It has 117K miles on it. He is selling the truck, which is 4WD, Long Bed, Great Interior, 4spd for $2500!!!! I figure the engine alone could be worth that. That engine seems to have a reputation for lasting well over 500K miles. I know a guy whose dad ran his up to 800K miles, with hardly anything, if anything done to it. The last owner of my truck took out the 6.9, and put in the 7.3. I am told that the 7.3 has a great reputation for lasting long, but not as long as the 6.9. So, I figure even if I dont want to drive the truck, I can put that 6.9 back in my rig, and then take all the parts off that I want and put them in my rig also.

Do you think $2500 sounds like a good deal? I'll try to take some pics of it if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2005, 03:28 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Thumbs up

Man that sounds almost too good to be true. I hope it's not and you're able to pick it up - good luck!
Old 10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Vinyl Sticker Guy

Smile

Ok, well I new it wasnt going to be the prettiest thing I ever saw. I'm just not sure its worth it. This truck is a Lariat, which means TONS of extra features than my rig. AC, thick steering wheel, clock, vents, etc... Again, it only has 117K miles on it, and that engine when taken cared of can run well into 500K-800K miles. I'm thinking, should I buy this truck, take all the good stuff off, and put it on my truck? Make my truck a Lariat? Or should I just save the $2500 he is asking for a new truck? Hmmmm.

He warned me of the rust on that one fender and the lack of pain on the hood before I came.

The interior was almost as good as new. Way better than mine.

Mechanically, everything was solid. No leaks that I could see. He said he changed the oil every 5000 miles.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Thats a good looking rig, wouldn't take much but a patch panel or two and a coat of paint to look brand new. Its still fairly clean body wise, and the frame looks great from what you can see. A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to pick up a 350 2wd 4 speed with the 6.9 and an ATS turbo for 1000, so 2500 may be a little steep but you can always negotiate. Besides, the one I looked at you could poke holes through the frame with your fingers
Old 10-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Looks like it's worth the price (but I'm by no means NADA) - my only concern would be trying to move everything over to your rig. Honestly it'll be a bear to do. I've built quite a few hot rods and take what you figure it'll cost to build up and easily double it - even if you do an exact part by part - it's NEVER that cut and dry. Just my opinion - again I do think the rig is probably worth the price.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Vinyl Sticker Guy

Thanks for your feedback guys. Yeah, I dont even know where I would get the time to do everything myself really. Swapping Interiors would be easy for me, but at the momento, I dont have the space or the tools to move the engine and all that stuff. However, it is the same Year and truck. I dont know. I'm just going to have to think about it for a little bit. It was kinda funny, we had to drive out to the guys hunting spot to see the truck. It was way up in the mountains. Good views though.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
how does the truck drive? if it handles good i would leave it together for a comuter then start hopping up your 7.3 as a week end toy. leave the 6.9 in this truck and just get the exterior looking like the interior.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Vinyl Sticker Guy

Well, the thing had a camper on it, plus we were up in the mountains so I didnt drive it. I went through all the gears in the cab a few times along with the 4WD. Again, felt more solid than mine even does. The frame just had surface rust here and there. Same with my truck. Yeah, I'm kinda tempted to. I'm still thinking. Thanks guys

Out of curiosity, what would one have to do to get rid of that rusty spot on the back panel? How much money would be involved in getting that section cut out and replaced?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Premium Member

Well, the patch panel is about $26 from JC Whitney, and if you can weld, you're set. It doesnt take much to do, just grab a case of beer and a couple of buddies, cut out all the cancer with an angle grinder, cut the new panel to fit, then gas or mig weld in place. Smooth and paint. All told, and depending on your motivation and intoxication it should only take a couple of hours from start to finish.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Hey lem, how'd it turn out for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.