6.9 IDI wont starts, is it worth the buy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.9 IDI wont starts, is it worth the buy

Hey guys, I have found a 86 F250 reg cab, long bed with a 6.9 IDI. The guy says that it wont start, that it just crank and cranks and cranks but wont fire. He says his friends mechanic buddy went threw the truck and said the glow plugs were good and every thing looked good. He also said he had the fuel system flushed and all lines bled. He says they have come to the idea that the rings are shot. I have a hard time beliving that all the rings are bad and that not 1 cylinder will fire. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Is it really the rings? Price on the truck is 1600 but I dont want to have to deal with rebuild the motor or replacing it(expensive). thanks guy all info helpfull
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats a high price for a truck that doesnt run. I would offer him $1000...

I would verify that there is fuel to the injectors. If so...then yes something is pretty wrong. Could be someone installed an IP way off and the timing is so far off it wont fire.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I went and looked at the truck today and to be honest the body and interior were 8 out of 10, very good very clean, no dents one rust spot the size of a quarter but only surface rust.

As far as mechanical, it leaked tranny fluid, oil (possible head gasket) rear diff leaked, AC needed charged, needs tire. Wont start so cant be test driven, dont even know if the tranny is good. He siad he wont take less than $2000 and that he want to get what its worth lol

But lets start from the beginning, when I get there the guy has jumper cables going from his dodge to the F250, charging one battery. I look at the truck for a little bit and ask him to crank the key. I looked to see what ever I could see and everything turn and spun but would not fire so I went to the exhaust and put my hand at the end of the tail pipe and there was very little air coming out. Then he cranked it and it hit me for some reason, something just sounded off. It was only cranking at prob half speed. The other battery was prob dead and he was jumping the other. Im thinking he and his friend have spent all this time working on the truck but the battery's are dead Anyway I played the whole "ok ya the rings are probably bad" because it still didnt run and there was no way to do a test drive. He said he would not go below 2k because he has had more interest in the last few day(wish he would have told me and I wouldnt have wasted my time)

He said I could a new motor for probable around $1000 and It would be new. lol checker want $5000 with core lol and I told him all these things and he bid me good day so no go on that one lol. Thanks guys for all your help.

Oh, and the truck only had like 85k miles, had 3inch exhaust, with pyro, and ATS turbo kit(didnt know till I got there)
Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey man if I wont start give her a shot of ether. My 1987 6.9 has been using ether all its life. The problem is that 6.9s have two 12 volt batterys and the 6.9s glow plugs are only 6 volt. So there aint enough electricty to heat the fuel.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I actually bought the truck, I got it for 1800 and the issue was the injection pump and the FFS. Due it it sitting for so long the fuel went bad and it messed up the pump and the solenoid. Its a running s.o.b. know. And just

FYI ether will destroy diesel motors in general, its to explosive and it very, very corrosive, it also will destroy the glow plugs. It detonates to explosively in the cylinder and can also detonate when it hits the glow plugs instead of under cylinder compression before and/or after TDC which can causing 2 pistons to fire at once which can cause serious damage. Unless I had an ether system with ether injectors and regulators I would never use it. To many problems and "what ifs" to consider and the consequences could be severe.

How do you figure (2) 12 volt batteries are not enough to power a 6 volt glow plug system?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

6 volts arent enough to heat the fuel. my buddy put 12 volt glow plugs in his 1985 6.9 and it starts everytime no matter how cold
Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and actually it will blow up the fuel bowl when the glow plugs turn on. but when your glow plugs are **** and always will be like mine ether is the way to do her. and i know everyone says that ether is bad for em but my 6.9 has 245,xxx and she still runs like a champ. so untill it blows up or it locks up from the ether ruining the rings thats how im keeping it lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.