Just traded for a Ford 6.9L diesel need info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 02:17 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just traded for a Ford 6.9L diesel need info

Ok, I just traded my short bed chevy 4x4 truck for a 1986 ford F350 6.9L diesel 4 speed man. trans. 4x4. This vehicle only has 104k miles on it, runs great, shifts great, 4x4 works perfect. I was wanting to know if I could run this vehicle on Biodiesel without any modification. I am actually suprized on how good of fuel economy this thing gets(whooping 20mpg), but was just curious if I could get even more money's worth out of it by running cheaper Biodiesel in it. It would be great if I could because then I would be getting around for as cheap as I could in High School

I also noticed it isnt a very peppy vehicle and wanted to know a good place to order a propane kit and a turbo kit for this particular motor. Switching from a gas engine to a diesel engine is taking some getting used to. I plan to have this truck for many many years.

It is currently sitting on 35" BFG A/T tires and still gets twice the milage as my old K10

Thx for you help.

Soon to come: king cab, short bed to replace the standard cab longbed. Bigger lift, bigger M/T tires, possibly Turbo and Propane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the 6.9 can be waken up a little bit by putting dual strait pipes on it (sounds awesome too) making a cold air intake. and turning the injector pump up
I think theres a write up on how thats done in the tech files. i would od that B4 spending the money on a turbo kit. I have also seen the manifolds and turbo off a 7.3 PS installed on a 6.9 and that would probly be your cheapest route. stay away from the propane unless you wana be picking up scrap steel off the highway good luck and welcome top the org!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 AM

Ohh, I thought propane was safe to run on a diesel. err atleast thats what one of my friends told me. I guess Ill just mark that outa the picture. I will start looking for wrecked 7.3's in the junk yard maybe I can get lucky and find a good setup for this motor.

Right now it only has a single 4" pipe that comes out right in front of the rear passenger side wheel. I was thinking of stacks coming threw the bed anyhow.

Do you know if I can run Bio in this truck? I would hate to try it without some techs opinions on the matter. this is my first diesel.

Thx for the welcome.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:12 AM

“Know Your Fuels” Part I

Ok, did a little research on the forums and discovered its OK to run Biodeisel in pretty much any diesel vehicle, also learned a few new things I could run. Thx for all your help in this matter. Looks like I'll be running Bio in the spring-summer-fall and straight diesel in the winter. Thank you once again for all you help. looks like maybe a snorkel kit and stacks will be the way I go to possibly pep this motor up a bit(I say snorkel because I enjoy getting the truck in the Sh#t.). I will also keep my eye's open for a wrecked 7.3L so I can snatch the headers/turbo off it. These forums are great.

Thanks for the warm welcome,
DeWayne
Old 07-25-2007, 06:34 AM

to the site, and enjoy the new truck! Sounds like you got the better end of the trade.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 AM

I still need to find a rear fuel tank for this truck. The guy that had it took it out because he said it rotted a hole in itself. maybe you guys can point me to a place that specializes in older ford parts? I would love to have twin fuel tanks so I can fill up when fuel is down and run for a couple weeks on that I dont see it getting to costly to run this truck like my Chevy got. Diesel is cheaper, better fuel economy, ect. I just never knew how much difference there was between diesel and gas as far as mileage or longevity of the engine. I heard from a few people to expect between 500k and 1kk miles out of this engine before a rebuild is even in the works if I keep it maintained I rebuild gas engines about every 100k to 150k miles(I ran V8s on steroids though). The only real difference I can tell in performance is get up and go. I am willing to sacrifice this for the torque and economy. sorry if I keep rambling on. I am just excited that I finally got my cake and ate it too. Ill post some pics of this ol' truck and my ol' chevy tell me how you think I made out on the deal.

Last edited by UnrealAntidote; 07-25-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
That makes me want an old truck to just tinker with! lol but I don't have enough money to have two diesel's! Congrats on the trade and WELCOME to the .ORG!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 AM

yep def. like the Ford better, Welcome to the Org.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:46 AM

welcome
I like the ford but i would like to have that chevy

Matt
Old 07-25-2007, 02:58 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
looks like a cool old truck. my buddie has one and its slow but itll tow any thing he hooks to it. he claims he can run strait bio with no mods but ive heard you have to get difrent fuel lines and a fuel heater to run strait bio. theres bio diesel discusion threads that you might repost your bio question on for a better response. JC whitney has some decent prices on old truck parts and LMC will have every thing you need for that truck Im not sure how they are one price tho. oh and i would try to find some one parting out a PS in the local clasifieds junk yards will rape you unless you can find a mom and pops yard and those are hard to find any more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.