whats goin on here? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.9L IDI Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whats goin on here?

i got a 86 f250 with a 6.9 automatic. the past few mornings its been idling really rough, but i figured it was just a little chilly and itd be fine. once i started down the road, it would just run like normal, and it would act the same way on the way home, when i started it up after work. today, on the way home, the "water in fuel" light came on. i told my pap, he said no biggie, that i could add some "dry gas" to it and it would disperse the fuel. i went to the local auto parts place and got something for diesel engines that disperses water in the fuel, and added that and changed the fuel filter. while i was working on that, i noticed that the line at the top of the filter looked to have a small leak. i was wondering if the water in the fuel could be causin the truck to idle rough, and if there are any ways other than the additive that i could fix the water in fuel problem. any input is appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am inclined to think that you have an air intrusion problem. I would recommend replacing that fuel line immediately. It runs fine once the engine mounted fuel filter is full of fuel because once the engine warms up and creates enough suction it overcomes the leak. But when you shut if off the fuel isnt being pulled into the filter anymore and will drain back to the tank so you have minimal fuel to start the rig on and it spends the first minute or so getting fuel back into the engine mounted filter.

The water in fuel light will come on if there is a restriction in the flow of fuel.....or in your case sucking too much air in.

I had a similiar situation and came to find out the the WIF light doesnt always mean that you have water.

Fix that line and let us know what your results are!

Thad
Old 06-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks, ill see what i can do, man u guys are awesome
Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
yep, that leak is causing is causing the wierd starting problems... the return line caps and orings are notorious for leaking also....
Old 06-26-2010, 09:15 AM

Yeah, what he said. I got fixated on the WIF light and forgot about the other common air intrusion possibilities.

Thad
Old 06-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im not sure if its the black line that comes out of the top of the filter,(kinda has like a ropey look to it) or if its the steel line which the black ropey line runs into. the steel line runs into the thing that the filter screws on. i havnt taken off the air filter to see where the steel line runs to, but the black ropey line runs to the first injector on the left side, and the to all the other ones, continuing back around to the right

Last edited by sprenkle; 06-27-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fuel line leaks have been dtected and fixed, light stayed on. drained water seperator, now she starts good, shuts off, and takes forever to crank back over. gotta love em tho.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:57 AM

What do you mean "takes forever to crank back over"? Everytime or are you refering to after draining the water seperator?

Just curious.

Thad
Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it was doin this everytime i went to start the truck up, after sitting for a couple hours. now it dont do it anymore, but the %$@#!@# light is back on. im gonna have see what the price of scrap is.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:50 PM

With these old rigs usually its a pretty simple fix once you track it down. Don't give up!

Thad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.