Shifting Into Neutral From 1st to 2nd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Tranny Problems 6.7 Tranny Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shifting Into Neutral From 1st to 2nd

This has happened a handful of times. Most of the time only when it is cold (not running for awhile) and while hooked up to a trailer. But today she was warm. Every time the GVWC is only 13-14K it'll drop into neutral while shifting to 2nd. I have to defuel and let it catch up then it shifts fine.

The dealership is sending a message to engineering and I am going to bring it in so they can check for codes. No check engine light.

Anyone have info on this issue?

Only 29K miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 PM

Grrrr Good luck pal. Sounds like a new tranny in your near future.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 PM

I noticed my 2011 F350 feed truck started doing this last week. It completely shifted into neutral when trying to shift from 1-2. Engine revved up until I completely let off the accelerator and let it figure out what it was doing. Then it shifted into 2nd and carried on normally. Twice in the same day while completely warmed up leaving from a dead stop. I've had it at Ford asking about tranny issues (weird shifting, hard shifting, neutral shift, etc.), and they blew me off. I'll drive it til it completely quits I guess, but it's irritating as heck.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubamax View Post
Grrrr Good luck pal. Sounds like a new tranny in your near future.
I hope not... this would be its second one then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.thed View Post
I noticed my 2011 F350 feed truck started doing this last week. It completely shifted into neutral when trying to shift from 1-2. Engine revved up until I completely let off the accelerator and let it figure out what it was doing. Then it shifted into 2nd and carried on normally. Twice in the same day while completely warmed up leaving from a dead stop. I've had it at Ford asking about tranny issues (weird shifting, hard shifting, neutral shift, etc.), and they blew me off. I'll drive it til it completely quits I guess, but it's irritating as heck.
Lucky for me I have a great relationship with my Service and Parts department and they never blow me off. But with that being said they cannot wipe their a$$ without now having to get Ford's permission.

I will keep you in the loop as to what I find out. But I would still make them open a case and a message to engineering. Tell them there is another truck out there doing the same thing. If our messages come across at the same time it can only help our case. Maybe?!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Thank you for all the replies. My issue is with 1-2 and not 2-3 for which there is a TSB for. They told me Engineering got back to them and they haven't heard of any issues with 1-2.

The TSB also has a build date cutoff of mid Nov '10. Before replace the solenoids, after update the ECU. Now here is the real catch... this is my second transmission. The truck is a Oct '10 build but the new transmission was shipped in Jan '11. But then again the TSB is only addressing 2-3 shift and 1-2 shift.

Also, what is the definition of "flair" when it is mentioned in the TSB?

The truck today was given the latest ECU update so we'll see what happens.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck is doing the same thing! I ordered mine in April '10 and picked it up June '10.
It misses the shift at least once week. I've told the dealership multiple times.... they just say they don't have any bulletins from Ford addressing this issue.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:52 AM

They are wrong, there are updates and TSB for 2-3 shift problems for our truck and transmission. There is nothing for 1-2 shift problem but the description of the problem is the same.

Tell them to look for 2-3 shift problems, there is a TSB for it. The build date cute off is Nov 19, 2010 or near that date. Before they have to replace the valve body I believe and after this date they have to up date the TCM.

Tell them to plug in their computer and it will tell them there is an update.

If they still give you a hard time I can get the actual TSB.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I picked up my 2012 F250 4x4 on Dec. 28th. On Dec. 30th, with 150 miles on it, this happened to me. Between 1st and 2nd, just revs up like it is in neutral. Happened one more time since then. Havent been to the dealer for service yet, but that is coming next week, so I will see what they say! Hope this does not become an ongoing problem and they can get it fixed..
Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Interesting that it continues on the 2012s. Please let me know what the dealership says!

Good Luck!!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2012 KR that does the same thing. It will slip between 1st and 2nd. I took it into the dealership for this problem at 5000 miles and they said everything was fine and they have had no issues with the transmissions. We also have 2 2011's doing the same thing. We took one of them in after my 2012 and they told us that they have not heard of any problems with the transmissions. It does not do it all the time but when it does it jerks the vehicle pretty hard. I hope they fix this issue soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.