Shifting issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Tranny Problems 6.7 Tranny Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shifting issue

I bought a 2011 f250 Lariat, 4 door, fx4, everything but king ranch. The truck now has 5000 miles on it, but I have had problems the whole time. It seems like if I start from a red light, with very light acceleration, around 30-40mph the truck starts sputtering. It almost feels like it doesnt know which gear to go into, or not getting fuel or something. It jerks the truck a little bit. The first time I brought the truck back to the dealership, they said some trucks didnt have the computer update, so they reprogrammed it. Well it has done it numerous times since, with 4 different witnesses in the truck that have said something before I pointed it out. I brought it back a second time, and of course, they can't duplicate the problem. Also, when switching from 5th to 6th gear, sometimes it jerks so hard, you think the rear end is falling out from under the truck. Ford told me that sometimes when you let off the pedal in 5th gear and it switches to 6th, it causes and undesireable jerk, but nothing is wrong with it. They actually printed this on my receipt. Its like they are telling me to live with it and they all do it. A window sticker of $59,990 and I get these problems. Anyone know about these problems that I can maybe point out to this dealership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd be trying a different dealership and writing to the higher ups at Ford. With a truck that new you cannot let the dealer win and convince you that problems like that are ok. It may be something simple but its still their job to fix it under warranty and asap. Stay on them and if its not fixed soon have an eye on how you would need to handle a buy back if it came down to it.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

I have had the exact same problems with mine... and also when i let of the gas to start coasting and slowing down for say a redlight it sometimes jerks as well almost like its missing shift. mentioned it to a local dealer and they said they have heard this from others but yet to be proved to them>?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tranny sputter

I finally got a check engine light on mine. The 3rd trip to the dealer about the issue they now believe me there is a problem. They reflashed but didn't work. Ford is investigating but for now can't figure out how to write a program to make the computer read the tranny right. They told me when ford figures it out and passes out the program, they will issue a recall to us to reflash the computer to correct this problem. Until then I'm with you...an $800 a month check engine light on a 14k mile truck.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have same issue with mine when taking off with light accelleration around 30-40 MPH it has trouble deciding which gear to go in and jerks. I have not taken it back yet, but will soon.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any updates on the fixes for the problems described in this thread? I am calling my dealer tomorrow for the elusive P165A code and the 2 to 3 shift that sometimes doesn't occur and I end up in neutral until I release the accelerator. 2011 F250 6.7 TD.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hope my mine doesn't start doing this. That is exactly why I got rid of my 2010 Dodge. Sometimes the 3/4 or 4/5 shift was like a drop kick and downshifts sometimes just as bad. Bad enough to break loose when slowing down on a slick surface especially if the trailer was behind me. The dealer service department was aware of and recognized/duplicated the problem and did everything they and Dodge had to offer for it and in the end offered a partial buy back/trade assistance for a 2011 or a completely new transmission. By then I was sick of it being in the dealer and couldn't make a deal on a new truck even with the assistance. Great service department, poor sales and management. Was very happy to get my 2011 Ford. 6000 miles and no probs yet. Fingers crossed though.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is interesting to me. I have another thread maybe related. Rough ride on smooth road in the drivetrain problems forum. But now that I am reading this. I may have a tranny problem causing it or in addition to other problem like the rear end. I read that they had a TSB to replace the clutch pack in the 1st Trucks, I haven't confirmed yet but that would make sense to me and my vibrations/shaking/unbalanced sensations. I too feel the shifting hard and possible tranny problems. My sticker was 60k and I can not believe how the dealers act as if our problems are "Normal Characteristics of the Vehicle" This is total BS and I am looking for help to get this resolved. I love everything else about this truck and need a truck for work, Now I am losing time from work by being in the shop and searching for a solution. If anyone knows how to get a hold of Ford corporate or how to bypass the dealer / do a buy back. please let me know. only 3k on the truck and I don't want to drive it. Sad!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck seems to have the same problems. It does not seem to happen all the time and I tend to think it is the TCM since I am towing about half the time. The trans just does not seem to know where to go sometimes and it shifts hard. It seems to be more prevalent at the 30-40MPH if you get off the fuel and then back on... like when you catch up to someone slower that then speeds up.

I like the truck is great, the trans is fair at best and it really makes me miss my old Allison.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

revive old thread...

Any updates on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.