Irregular shifting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Tranny Problems 6.7 Tranny Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Irregular shifting

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this with any other 2011's. Mine is an '11 F250.

About 99% of the time, when my trans shifts from 3rd to 4th, there is a noticeable hesitation at the top of the RPM range of 3rd gear before it shifts into 4th. Almost like it shifts into 4th, but doesn't. The RPM's back off about 200-300 RPM, then it climbs back the same and then shifts into 4th. I just had my truck serviced Saturday, oil change, DEF added, and got a PCM update (I think?). I'll have to check my paperwork for the exact details, but apparently trans shifts are a common issue with the new trucks, but primarily harsh shifts from 1st through 3rd, but nothing noted for 3rd to 4th. My truck feels a lot more powerful in 1st and 2nd gears and shifts smoother throughout, but unfortunately the computer update didn't fix my 3-4 shift issue.

I've heard to turn traction control off; as dumb as this sounds, I tried it but it didn't work.

I've tried various throttle percentages to see if that affects the shift. Sometimes a little more throttle helps climb through the RPM range and not hesitate as much from 3-4, but it doesn't matter.

Anyone noticed something similar??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 12:53 PM

I have noticed that as well, I have over size tires on that made it worse as well
Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That has happened to me once as well. It fell right on its face once going up an incline and turning. Almost like it missed the shift.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Me too

Mine hasn't happened often but a couple of times going from 2nd to 3rd or it might have been from 3rd to 4th from a stop light, it seemed to hesitate on the shift. Kind of bogged down and hard shifted. It was cold out so I first thought that was the problem.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've experienced something of the same issue but going from 1st to 2nd i believe, like it shifts in to neutral and then i have to let off on the throttle for the rpms to drop and re-apply throttle to get it to shift and continue on, any ideas?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Works great, lasts a long time, don't worry about it.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFrench View Post
I've experienced something of the same issue but going from 1st to 2nd i believe, like it shifts in to neutral and then i have to let off on the throttle for the rpms to drop and re-apply throttle to get it to shift and continue on, any ideas?
I've had that happen to me twice in 5000kms. Both times it was on a cold start, maybe 5 minutes idling, above freezing, and just driving normally, not a hard accel by any means. The first time was with less than 500kms... first Ford, was kind of shocked/worried/scared. Thankfully still lots of warranty!
Let her buck!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikey_ab View Post
I've had that happen to me twice in 5000kms. Both times it was on a cold start, maybe 5 minutes idling, above freezing, and just driving normally, not a hard accel by any means. The first time was with less than 500kms... first Ford, was kind of shocked/worried/scared. Thankfully still lots of warranty!
Let her buck!
Yea all the things were about the same when it happened to me, just around freezing temps, short time of idle before driving, and it happened just as i was leaving the house, definitely not a hard takeoff or acceleration. I did have my local Ford Dealership take a look and try diagnose the problem. They came back with not being able to reproduce the problem but had said they have experienced others doing the same thing and said it was due to the last download to the PCM which increased the stock horsepower and torque, guess will see if it continues or what (good thing for warranty). They did say that the one that they were able to identify the problem, they replaced the PCM with one that had the download already built in and it fixed it.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine does it all the time. Mine has even went from 4th to 3rd while accelerating my dealer said I was crazy, but my fiancee can testify it happened. I was slowly speeding up and it shifted and the rmps pegged out and then it shifted right back to 4th.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

mine seems to happen most often one I am driving along at say 60km-hr and let my foot right off the gas it does some weird stuff sometimes, such as like jerking and seems like its totally missing a down shift... it also does it when increasing speed too. such as going from 2nd - 3rd or 3rd to 4th. havent mentioned it to ford yet think i should or is just because i did get the flash upgrade to the 400 and 800?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.