Trans shudder - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Tranny Problems 6.7 Tranny Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans shudder

My transmission is starting to shudder when i give it more than 1/2 throttle, are there any updates for this? It is noticable enough that the wife feels it. Ussually really bad in 4th gear, i guess the dealership is where i will go to find out. Anybody else feel this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM

I do, just started under light throttle acceleration. I have 3k miles on mine
Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I felt the same "jerking" between 5th and 6th gear 2 days ago. It hasn't done it since. I have 5K on my truck.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I never noticed it until today when I towed with it for the first time. Was towing a forklift on a trailer. Pulled fine but then I wanted to see how hard it would pull under full throttle for a short distance and I could feel the transmition shutter. Even my two passengers noticed it. Anything above half throttle seemed to "stress" the tranny or dive train. I have an AFE and the MP-8 which by the way was turned up at the time. I wonder if the the HP increase from the MP-8 was too much for the tranny? Not that it is that much of an increase but when I had it turned down I didn't notice it like when it was turned up. But I really didn't experiment with that too much. But to make matters worse later that day just before I started going up a small hill the truck died on me for no reason. No warning lights or nothing. Temps were fine and DEF fluid was under half full but not empty yet. And it wasn't going into idle mode anyway, it just died leaving me in the middle of a hill (by the time I coasted to a stop) with a loaded trailer on and in the right lane of a busy four lane road. WTF!? I put it in park and turned the key off and back on. Luckily it started back up and was fine after that but it was a holy crap moment for me I can tell you that much. Wonder if it is related to that popping sound I have been hearing once in a while ever since I put on the AFE? I know other guys have written forums about that same sound but nobody seems to have learned anything about it or has gotten it fixed. The only problem other than that was the day I picked it up from the dealer. I had just pulled out of the dealer and gave it some gas to change lanes. The truck reved like it had popped out of gear as I tried to give it throttle. So I let off and tried again and it has been fine since. I know I have read other guys have had that problem too. But the engine shutting off completely!? That just broke my heart today because I really do love the truck. Made it even worse when your two buddies in the truck with you ask "how much did you pay for this thing?" Anyway, any thoughts about the engine shutting down thing?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Three ideas about shudder; one about popping.

Shudder could be in tranny, or be a driveline issue. I can't help you with tranny. I driveline, there are shims can be added to carrier bearing mounting to increase or decrease the driveline angle when towing. I understand that if this works, it often, bit not always results in a shudder when not towing. More likely, it is caused by a sagging rear end due to pin or tongue weight from the trailer (you have a luxury ride empty for a reason). Air bags will solve this. A trhird idea was from another forum where a "frequent buyer" had so much shudder and had tried all of the shim ideas Ford engineers (on site on several occasions) could throw at the shudder with a heavy but legal laod, that Ford was building him a new heavy duty drive line and carrier bearing assembly. He never reported ack in after the repairs, so I do not know if it worked but I suspect that it did.

Regarding popping. Not sure if you mean engine popping or driveline popping. If the latter, particularly when heavily loaded, turning at slow speeds, or acccelerating, some early 2011 dana axles were built incorrectly and there is a service bulletin to replace the clutch pack in the posi rear ends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.