Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2011 F-250 6.7 BLOWN ENGINE $24,233.67

124K views 189 replies 57 participants last post by  GregoryScott 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought this 2011 4-door loaded Lariat with a 6.7 Diesel engine that was highly touted as the best diesel truck ever.

I service the truck religiously and baby it. Never been in the mud, never abused. Driving to an appointment yesterday and the truck started knocking then violently shaking from the engine. I pulled over immediately and turned her off. Looked under the front of truck and 13 quarts right there on the ground.

Had the truck towed to dealer and today find out the 1st and 5th cylinder are showing nothing. They removed the oil pan and crankshaft is jumping around freely. The long block is shot. The short block is shot and apparently the turbo and all. The sympathetic diesel mechanic felt terrible telling me that the entire engine and components need to be replaced.

The damage: $24,233.67........ Although he can tell I immediately shut the truck down due to no evidence of blowback in the exhaust, he said it was a possibility that I could be required to pay another $3,000-$4,000 if the exhaust showed damage after engine replacement.

I have no idea what to do. This truck cost $60,000++ and is only 3 years old with 124,058 easy miles on it. I owe money on it still so I am at a loss.

Any suggestions? Should ford cover this basically totaled truck? I'm in the midst of the dilemma and need advice or help from someone not emotionally tacked with a $24,000 estimate.

My plan is to cover every site on the internet with this info and contact ford to see if they will stand behind the product. This truck has cost me thousands with the exhaust sensors going out time and time again while leaving me stranded on the side of the road. I will not rest until everyone is informed of this and Ford stands up to their mechanical workmanship failing. Any attorney interested, please contact me.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Have a failure analysis performed on the engine by an independent mechanic. Use the Ford Dealership ONLY if you feel as though you can trust them. Document everything. The root cause of the failure CAN be determined by a good analyst.
I would speculate that the engine suffered an exhaust valve failure that is all too common with the 11 model and early 12 model engines or it suffered a broken crankshaft that while not as common as the valve failures it does happen.

#4 ·
Poormanscat, thank you for the info. What would the possible outcomes or accomplishments be to make it worth spending $1600-$2000 on failure analysis? I will do it in a heart beat if it would accomplish some sort of resolution. I'm still in shock and new to a repair bill this steep so I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

#5 ·
Where are you located?

#10 ·
Bummer, wish you were closer to Houston. I know alot of great shops to recommend there.

I dont know of any in Dallas off hand

Reactions: jasoninplano
#12 · (Edited)
Wow, i was told that 6.7 are the new 7.3. hmmm. subscribed to this, even though i own a 6.0 still want to see what comes out of this.

i know you asked if its worth the 1,600 to do the analisys, i would think it would be. IMO you have all the paperwork that shows the oil has been changed on time, truck has been serviced on time and the fail analisys comes back with a manufacture defect you have a case, if Ford dont stand by their product then grab a lawer. but if thats too much of a headache then grab a severly damaged same year truck thats been hit in the rear end, but front end looks good, swap the engine.

heres one in parrticular
http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch...e1s1&lotId=17278094&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

heres others.

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch...Facility=TX&zipPostalCode=&mileageRange=99999

and the rest of the truck part it out.

times like these makes you wish u had an extended warranty. good luck,

#13 ·
What good is grabbing an attorney going to do. Hes FAR FAR FAR past the warranty period. Hes almost double the mileage on the engine warranty

#14 ·
What dealer told you this info as well Im curious?

Especially the long block and short block comments. Thats sounds like a service advisor that doesnt know WTF hes talking about.

What hurts you as far as Ford covering anything is the fact that youre at 124k miles. The warranty is only good for 60k miles.

My suggestion is find a new shop as this one is attempting to take you to the cleaners.

Did you throw a rod?

#16 ·
I had the 100,000 mile warranty. Dropped a valve and crankshaft came loose or was bouncing (some specific measurement) causing irreparable damage the diesel mechanic said. Also told me the heads and/or injectors were damaged and probably the turbo, although he didn't see much blowback in the exhaust but couldn't promise me that it would be fine. 5th cylinder was quite? I think he said. Cylinder 1 was about to drop as well. Mentioned glow plugs being burnt or broke. Heck, I don't know what all this is but I do know what the repair ticket says it will cost. The truck was perfect with no unusual sounds or change of power, no smoke. No oil on my concrete drive that I had it parked the night before. I'm just disappointed and you would be too if your $60,000 truck was no good after just 3 years.

#18 ·
Believe me Jason. I would be pissed too. Theres no question about it. I didnt know you bought an extended warranty

Reactions: jasoninplano
#30 ·
2011s and 12s only had a 5yr 60k warranty. You had to buy an extended to get to 100k

#21 ·
you could have a fully built long block from SPE or EDE for less than $24000

#25 ·
Very sorry to hear your troubles. Three years, that's tough to swallow. But you're doing a good job keeping your cool.

If I may make a suggestion or two, IMHO,

1) ask to speak to their head mechanic, shop foreman, or someone who knows what is what in that shop. You are not getting the facts correct. (If they stick to their story, ask off them to point out the 'long block' and the 'short block' to you, and the parts listing cost for each that you will have to pay for! Then post it on here! I have a feeling this is more of a misunderstanding...

2) for a few bucks, find another good, reputable shop in your area, I'm sure you can find one. Have it towed there and and spend a hundred bucks asking for their opinion/estimate. You may find a whole new story there. Something affordable until you ate no longer upside down in this thing.

3) unfortunately, you are out of warranty. Lawyer can do nothing for you (from my experience anyway, but it doesn't hurt to make a quick phone call Monday morning, you never know)
Ford will probably not do much for you. Definitely worth jumping up and down in front of the service manager in his office...
Make sure to do it on the next nice day, when they have lots of customers around to over hear. Make sure to explain in such a way that everyone in the dealership knows what the problem is, not rudely, no profanity, - just loud and clear. Do not give them a reason to discount you or ask you to leave due to language or silly threats, ...legal action threats, yes, lots of them!
They never like that, and every now and then, the owner may just make an exception to your case. I've been there and done it a few times. I run several trucks, and have won some and lost some arguments. I won more than lost with them. GM and Ford.

4) find another source for an engine. Google it. Many out there, used, rebuilt/OH, junk yard etc. Take your chances with the exhaust. It's probably ok.
Rebuilt you can buy for $11+K, long block. Used, junk yard, probably find one for $5k or less.

I will be interested to hear what happens. I have been to a few dealers looking at new 6.7's over the past couple of days to start replacing a few trucks.

Good luck.

#26 ·
Is the other $12000 for labor? That seems like BS to me.

Part Name: Engine Complete Assembly

Brand: Ford Genuine Parts

Part Number: 6007

Price: $12,069.53

Quantity:

+Add To Cart

ShareThis

Part Description: 6.7L 4V V8 T/C Diesel ; Wide Frame (Pickup), With Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Content; Complete Engine Assemblies May Only Be Available During Current Production Model Year

Reactions: Wwblue05
#28 ·
Is the other $12000 for labor? That seems like BS to me.

Part Name: Engine Complete Assembly

Brand: Ford Genuine Parts

Part Number: 6007

Price: $12,069.53
6007 is not a real part number. Do you have the real part number for this?

#36 ·
if the engine was built in either 2010 or 2011, it has a chance of having bad valves. Later 2011s have a lower chance. Early 11 models are almost guaranteed. Its just a matter of when one will fail.
When they pulled the heads off mine for an internal coolant leak, they found almost every valve had surface cracks and a few had actually guttered.

#31 ·
Ahh its an Autonation dealer. That explains alot. Their service depts bend you over and stick it up your you know where without lube.

Their online parts house is the only thing they have going for them (They bought Tousley Ford)

Hell you can get the complete long block from their online parts order site for $12,500 plus shipping

This post has been deleted
#37 ·
Is there anything that can done in advance to prevent this? I have a 11 that was built 9/10. I saw TSB 12-11-11 but mine doesn't have any of the symptoms described in it.

Do I just have to wait and hope it happens before the warranty is up? I am concerned about this issue and have been researching it a lot the last few weeks and have not been able to find any information on how to prevent this or get it taken care of before it is a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.