Yet another victim of a bad EGT sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet another victim of a bad EGT sensor

Just after going over 10K miles, the check engine light came on in my 2013 F250 6.7L last week. I pulled the code with my reader and it came up as P208C, which a google search describes as "Reductant Pump Control Circuit Low." Reductant is what Ford calls the DEF.

Dropped it off at the dealer and they're telling me it's a bad EGT sensor, which doesn't seem to fit the code description I pulled, but I guess I have to defer to them. I'm getting it back this morning but now I'm paranoid about the EGT sensor failing on me. I plan on taking several road trips soon, including a 3K mile trip out west.

I just ordered an extra EGT sensor in case I have to change it on the fly. Does anyone have instructions on where the sensor is located? It seems like a pretty easy install if you know where it is. Unscrew and unplug, then screw in new probe and plug in the other end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewtk View Post
Just after going over 10K miles, the check engine light came on in my 2013 F250 6.7L last week. I pulled the code with my reader and it came up as P208C, which a google search describes as "Reductant Pump Control Circuit Low." Reductant is what Ford calls the DEF.

Dropped it off at the dealer and they're telling me it's a bad EGT sensor, which doesn't seem to fit the code description I pulled, but I guess I have to defer to them. I'm getting it back this morning but now I'm paranoid about the EGT sensor failing on me. I plan on taking several road trips soon, including a 3K mile trip out west.

I just ordered an extra EGT sensor in case I have to change it on the fly. Does anyone have instructions on where the sensor is located? It seems like a pretty easy install if you know where it is. Unscrew and unplug, then screw in new probe and plug in the other end.
Did it put your truck in limp mode and leave you stranded? I had a sensor around 10k miles. Brought it in at next oil change and they fixed it. Was no issue at all. Now I have around 33k miles on my 2013 and no other issues other than that.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

there's 4 egt sensors, any one of them can leave ya stranded, but egt 12 and 13 are the most common, the middle 2 of the 4. The pull over safely shutdown usually results in a 1 hour lockout timer, that prevents you from starting the truck. You can get around the timer by running a koeo self-test with an IDS. if it does go out, you can literally just wait there and it will eventually start and run. Everytime they get towed in, in reach in, start it right up drive it in the shop
Old 03-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE: The dealer initially said an EGT sensor was bad and replaced it, but turns out the DEF pump was going bad, so they replaced the pump and said the problem was fixed. I just got back from a track weekend towing my race car trailer 400 miles and everything seems fine.

What's strange to me is the engine code description was "Reductant Pump Control Circuit Low" (Reductant is DEF) so I'm not sure why the DEF pump wasn't the first thing the dealer checked. I mean it's right in the description.

I went ahead and ordered an extra EGT sensor just in case. I don't want to get stranded by a $40 part.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same thing happened to me today. I have a 2011 F250 with 50,400 miles. Pulling into the neighborhood got the ole "pull over safely" notification and BAM! Everything was gone. I has it towed to the nearest dealership and the first they told me is $150 to diagnose and sensors are not part of the "drivetrain". I. told the writer if the truck will not run because of the sensor then obviously it was part of the drivetrain, he gave me nothing but a blank stare back. I'm seriously considering the First Coast Diesel Performance option of the tuner and exhaust. Apparently you can get ride of these sensors and DEF all together. Thoughts on he tuner and exhaust upgrades? Has anyone had any problems?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Just had it happen to me on my 11 model C&C. I was running about 55-60mph on a 2 lane highway with no shoulders and it suddenly chimes pull over safely. At the same time it completely shut the truck down! I ended up running off the road due to not being able to steer or stop. The shutdown command needs to give some defuel time to safely get off the highway before shutting the engine down. Maybe de-fuel and force back to 1st gear 1500rpm max?
With all the crap the gubbament is giving GM over the ignition swtich fault, I cannot see how Ford is any less to blame.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanscat View Post
Just had it happen to me on my 11 model C&C. I was running about 55-60mph on a 2 lane highway with no shoulders and it suddenly chimes pull over safely. At the same time it completely shut the truck down! I ended up running off the road due to not being able to steer or stop. The shutdown command needs to give some defuel time to safely get off the highway before shutting the engine down. Maybe de-fuel and force back to 1st gear 1500rpm max?
With all the crap the gubbament is giving GM over the ignition swtich fault, I cannot see how Ford is any less to blame.

^wow, that's horseshi+. Can't believe that a damn work truck would just shut off like that- thank goodness you weren't pulling a fifth wheel.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:33 PM

I'm SO glad I own a 06 6.0l, after reading this thread none "pull over safely" and shutdown stuff, truck just runs. YES there are weak links, but fix them, and you've got a nice solid reliable truck. I have 127k and truck runs like a champ.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-07-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiseuf View Post
^wow, that's horseshi+. Can't believe that a damn work truck would just shut off like that- thank goodness you weren't pulling a fifth wheel.
yeah, it could have been worse. with the truck weighing about 18.5K theres not a lot of turning when you lose the power steering. For something as insignificant as an EGT sensor failure seems like they would simply derate it to the point the truck would slow down to 1st gear and give you 5-10 minutes to get it to a safe place to pull off.
Not every sensor failure is going to happen in front of a parking lot!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
deleting fixes it forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.