DEF Level Indicatior Slow To Reset - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 01:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DEF Level Indicatior Slow To Reset

Have a 2013 F-250 with an interesting DEF issue. When the level indicates under 1/2 full in message center, I have always topped it off with the Motorcraft Jug and Nozzle, so I know it is full. However, it may take the system up to 20 miles and/or several start and stop cycles to show that the tank is in the OK range. Have never let it go beyond less than 1/2 indicator. I am concerned that I may have an issue and was wondering if this is normal or not. I guess I would describe the issue as it is slow to reset as, so far, it always has after what I see as an extended period. Any ideas?

Update. My Ford Guy, who's pretty reliable says it is defective DEF Tank Sensors. Fix is to replace DEF Tank. A few weeks wait due to the fact that this is, evidentially, a wide-spread and known issue, and the tanks--unless you are down--are backordered. He also says that if you keep the DEF Tank topped off, or at the very least, refill at less that half warning, you might avoid being down until you can get it in for a fix. It WILL need fixing, however, many of the problems are related to setting the sensors off and them not resetting quickly or at all and this might keep you running until you get into the dealership.

Still welcome any ideas, though!

Last edited by Marston; 02-13-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Update to Issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

Where abouts is your location?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've had that happen on mine once. 800mi warning message came up and i drove a few more miles (got down to 620mi warning). I filled it up, and the reading went to bonkers. It kept going up and then down.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

SW US Oklahoma
Old 02-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marston View Post
SW US Oklahoma
So warm weather then, I thought possible it was freezing and effecting level. Hmm interesting, I know its not same thing but one of our work trucks was doing the same sorta thing, 14 ram 5500, tank was full but would read empty and go into limp mode, had to get a re flash.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea, warm weather. Happens no matter temp, so it is not weather related. I think it is, if my Ford Guy is right, basically the same problem as yours except mine is coming back. Had a friend whose F-250 did as yours, but the fix was to replace the tank/sensors rather than a flash. I am told that I am lucky in that mine is still "working" and therefore not causing anything but a hassle until it can be fixed. Damned EPA! Can't really blame Ford, Dodge or GM for this issue.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What did you do? My Ford Guy says you need to get it in for repairs as eventually it will fail and leave you on the side of the road.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was told the parts are on a national backorder. I've been waiting since the end of december. I live in north Georiga,and thought something froze. Warning read less than 500 miles until empty,the dealership filled tank(2gls) reset,I'm still waiting. I've had other gremlins but they can't find a fault code. this is my third Powerstroke and the only one I'm dissapointed in.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Interesting and sounds like mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
I was told the parts are on a national backorder. I've been waiting since the end of december. I live in north Georiga,and thought something froze. Warning read less than 500 miles until empty,the dealership filled tank(2gls) reset,I'm still waiting. I've had other gremlins but they can't find a fault code. this is my third Powerstroke and the only one I'm dissapointed in.
Sounds like my issue. I have an "inside track" as I am friends with a tech at a dealership and he can cut through the typical advisor BS that many get. Again, his advice is not to let the gizmo set itself off by keeping filled until the fix. He tells me it works by electical contacts in the tank and when you pass a level it results in a resistance change that sets it off. Sometimes, the tanks when filled do not reset and it shows low when it is not and you have issues. If you don't let it go off, the chance of a problem is much lower. One time it is good to be compulsive with PM. He also tells me that if you are in "limp mode" or close to being there--the deaded countdown--you can get a quicker fix. The parts are in short supply becuse, as far as I can tell, these were bad from the supplier and had to be fixed on most if not all 2011-13. Lot of trucks.

Anyway, keep us posted and, I would be interested in what the other gremlins are. My truck has been good, overall, and much better than 6.0 & 6.4s were when they were introduced.

In closing, GM has had some issues too. I don't keep up with Fiat (Ram) and the blame for this has to be placed squarely on Obama and the Damned EPA.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

Ah this makes sense. Ram has an actual gauge for its DEF level, ive been monitoring mine with cts and it still reads 100%, i thought that was weird. This explaims why it isnt changing!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
def level

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.