cold weather issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cold weather issues

I'm in iowa visiting family and the wind chill is -30 right now. I put diesel kleen (arctic formula) in and after going to the gym the check engine light came on then low fuel pressure and reduced power. It's been plugged in the last 2 hours and I just went to try it and no luck. Same warnings.

Any other suggestions? Its supposed to warm up in a couple days but no vehicle is a pain. I couldn't imagine dealing with this regularly in cold weather so I hope it's something I'm missing.

Also, will the check engine light reset when it warms up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 08:03 PM

First of all if its that cold in the area you live, your fuel stations should have winter fuel?? (Which won't gel until a much lower temp).

Next your block heater only warms up engine oil and coolant. Not fuel.

If you can find a fuel station with winter blend fuel and fill up, you should be in the clear.

Yes once fuel is no longer gelled, your engine light and warnings will clear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Usually the gel will end up in the fuel filters. Replace and see if she will start.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 PM

I could not imagine them not having winter fuel here. I filled up here a couple days ago.

Also, I agree about being plugged in not warming fluids, just figured it's still better than not doing such.

I'll see how it works tomorrow/weds and if it's still an issue I will chamge fuel filters.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got to go haul a dead one home this morning. Dad took off last night to shop in -5 weather without treatment in his 6.7L and gelled about 11 pm. He got some 911 and got it another 15miles. Got it into a Ford dealer last night, but their shop is closed today and they refuse to let us get it in to change the filters ourselves.

I bought him a set of new fuel filters a couple weeks ago, but he refused to change them. Local Ford mechanic told him they should be changed at 15-20K. He only puts about 10K per year on the truck.

I told him that the mechanic won't be the one dead on the side of the road with a diesel truck.

Change the filters in November every year and you might have a chance in the winter.

I am waiting for it to get above zero before taking my truck out to tow his back home.

Leave your diesels at home if it is below zero. Sorry for the harsh tone, but this stuff always takes people by surprise. The fuel suppliers do not sell #1 diesel, so we are stuck with whatever crap is in their tanks in December. Seems like later in the winter the cold snaps don't affect as many people.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedguy View Post
Got to go haul a dead one home this morning. Dad took off last night to shop in -5 weather without treatment in his 6.7L and gelled about 11 pm. He got some 911 and got it another 15miles. Got it into a Ford dealer last night, but their shop is closed today and they refuse to let us get it in to change the filters ourselves.

I bought him a set of new fuel filters a couple weeks ago, but he refused to change them. Local Ford mechanic told him they should be changed at 15-20K. He only puts about 10K per year on the truck.

I told him that the mechanic won't be the one dead on the side of the road with a diesel truck.

Change the filters in November every year and you might have a chance in the winter.

I am waiting for it to get above zero before taking my truck out to tow his back home.

Leave your diesels at home if it is below zero. Sorry for the harsh tone, but this stuff always takes people by surprise. The fuel suppliers do not sell #1 diesel, so we are stuck with whatever crap is in their tanks in December. Seems like later in the winter the cold snaps don't affect as many people.
I changed my filters last week. I had treatment in the tank prior to the gelling. I used local fuel for this tank. I feel like I covered most of my bases with the exception of "not driving it"
Old 12-24-2013, 09:05 AM

10 degrees today. Still nothing. So screwed.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:50 PM

So are there winter fuel additives that you guys are running? I'm in PA but I'm just wondering. I just started using motorcraft pm-22 at about 3000 miles, but I don't think it does anything for winter performance.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i dont see an issue with running diesels below zero? ice road truckers? hell my truck has run in -10 ( actual temp no wind chill ) and it ran fine just threw a piece of card board infront of the radiator. just pop the fuel filter lid off and drop a few drops of anti gel into it. let it sit for two hours then go start it. let it idle for 20 mins to cycle fuel from the tank to the engine.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Iowa has had winter fuel for awhile now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.