Death Wobble in a 2013...yes, a 2013 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Death Wobble in a 2013...yes, a 2013

Vehicle is a 2013 CREW F-350 6.7 SRW 4X4 with 4400 miles on the odo. Last week I changed out my 18" 275/70R18 summers for my winters on steel rims - Michelin 265/70R17's.

Going up hill, I hit a small bump and the death wobble occurred. Really surprised me, but at the same time, it was a UFB-sigh.

Now, before I go back to the dealership again (don't ask), I need to check what else could be causing this issue? The new steel rims perhaps but they're O.E.? The tires? They're an OEM size for the XLT and they're Michelin's. Something else to check?

Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at each steering joint from the steering box to the tie rod ends. It will be noticeable if any joint has excess play in it. All it takes is one sloppy or loose joint to allow the Death Wobble to occur.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took my truck to the dealership and the couldn't find anything. Said they 'road tested' the truck but couldn't make it happen.

Is there a TSB for this?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2011 6.7 FX4 crew cab and had the very same thing happen! This is NOT new to Ford trucks post leaf spring front ends, nor Dodge, nor Jeep. I have a 2" leveling kit with coil spacers and 4" rear block with Fox schocks. I got rid of the Michelin factory tires (very soft side wall) and put on Toyo AT II 295/65R20 on my factory rims-looks awesome!, I added an Icon pan rod track bar, put in new caster alignment shims to get up to 2 degrees positive caster, and then a new alignment. Running 60psi now cold and truck is awesome!

p.s. There is a tsb for this and the dealer looks at the tie rod bushings or something, yada yada but no fix! Mine were perfect so no fix to do. I already tried this route.

PM me if you want, we can discuss further before you spend any more time or money!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having the start of the death wobble in my 2013 f350 It doesn't happen enough to bring to the dealership and try to duplicate but it is unbelievable that a truck with 8,000 miles would behave this way.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Some owners of certain F-Super Duty 250/350 4x4 vehicles have experienced severe steering and front wheel vibrations and oscillations after traveling over a bump or dip in the road. As a result of a study with NHTSA regarding shimmy, Ford sent a Customer Maintenance Reminder letter to owners back in March of 2009. In addition, Ford agreed to send reminder letter to owners. Although there is no service action required by the dealer, customers will be informed if after setting the tire pressures on their truck to the Ford specified levels, they believe the vehicle needs additional service, to contact their local Ford dealer. Letters will be mailed starting the week of 12/09/13 and may result in increased customer service inquiries.

on FMCDealer this morning.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had a 2012 f350 that was shaking all over the road, i tried everything, couldnt find it. I gave up ordered a 13, but a few days before i traded it in, i got the wobble, then a suden surge in the motor. Didnt say much about it since i was already buying a new one and was less then pleases with ford at the time. Couldnt believe it when my 13 was doing the same thing! Took it in immidiatly (2k) and they said the wobble was caused from the engine shuttering and shaking, making the whole truck shake vioenlty. they replaced the turbo and are hoping that fixed it, but i am only at 3700 miles now and not sure its is gone!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Kyle T - Sounds like it might be turbo surge to me... This thread: engine "chugging" under light load

has some info about that, but I think there is much more to the story, so might be worth a little more research.

As far as the real death wobble...that's usually caused by improper caster angle. I'm not sure what the factory specs are on the new ford trucks, but if I were having that issue I'd check the alignment, check the caster and check the steering stabilizer for starters.
The Following User Says Thank You to hilton850 For This Useful Post:
Kyle T (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
Some owners of certain F-Super Duty 250/350 4x4 vehicles have experienced severe steering and front wheel vibrations and oscillations after traveling over a bump or dip in the road. As a result of a study with NHTSA regarding shimmy, Ford sent a Customer Maintenance Reminder letter to owners back in March of 2009. In addition, Ford agreed to send reminder letter to owners. Although there is no service action required by the dealer, customers will be informed if after setting the tire pressures on their truck to the Ford specified levels, they believe the vehicle needs additional service, to contact their local Ford dealer. Letters will be mailed starting the week of 12/09/13 and may result in increased customer service inquiries.

on FMCDealer this morning.
pump up your tires and retest
Old 01-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
did you ever get it fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.