6.7 rust in fuel system non warranty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 rust in fuel system non warranty

2013, 6.7 plat 4 x 4, aluminum aux fuel tank-not steel, 14,000 miles, fueled at Shell and Valero, oil change at 5k, 10k, was going to do fuel filter at 15k. FORD: Contaminated fuel. State Farm Insurance: not contaminated fuel, excessive wear and tear and/or poor maintenance. I started an earlier post on this. Total cost to me before core $12,000.00 out of pocket. $1,500.00 in core charges to keep all damaged parts (entire fuel system, pump, EGR, fuel lines, fuel body, valves, all 8 injectors, etc.

In closure-State Farm did two visits on this, 2nd at my request after I paid to drop fuel tank. Did several test, one a magnet test, two others they would not disclose to me. Said magnet clean, denied claim. Ford Service Manger said not true, they sweep the tank for a long period and pulled up a mess of metal fine particles, rusted. I am convinced fuel contamination. State Farm claims said all clean, inspector either not being truthful or someone else? In the end I am the guy that has the money and can afford the repair but I am also the guy that can afford the legal avenue, I just think it is ashamed that it has to come to that. More so what about the guy that can not pay for this nor the attorney. Big Business screwing the little guy. Just not right.

In earlier post I dogged Ford, I still think the filter system should of prevented this damage but in the end looks like an insurance issue. Make sure and change your fuel filters at 10k, I am doing mine every 5k to best safe. Also drain the water separator often. I love the truck....tows my 5th wheel well. Just hope it performs now going forward. And no more contaminated fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 05:30 PM

I'm sure that it is impossible that the fuel pump was defective. If Ford manufactures a million of these pumps, every one of them will work perfectly forever and the only possibility of failure has to be operator error/bad fuel.

Did you see the rusted parts?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDS View Post
I'm sure that it is impossible that the fuel pump was defective. If Ford manufactures a million of these pumps, every one of them will work perfectly forever and the only possibility of failure has to be operator error/bad fuel.

Did you see the rusted parts?
I do have all the parts. The fuel pump has not been broken into yet, was advised that both parties, State Farm and Ford be part of that. I did ask the Ford dealership to look into tank, to check fuel pump internally, they refused. Further took this all the way to Dearborn Michigan, Ford's "Executive Liaison" Division, got the same thing....all Ford did was look at two valves, they were rusted, so the mandate of Ford at that time is "to advise owner of cost, not to spend any more time on the truck"

Note the rusted metal was in the tank, so I assume that is before the pump? With that I am guessing it is an insurance issue.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
12 jesus bars holy crap!!! that's when i go buck wild on someone!!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprksonu View Post
12 jesus bars holy crap!!! that's when i go buck wild on someone!!
Sadly I know...and I did. First though with professionalism and respect, that got me all the way to the top at Ford/Deerborn Michigan, I have to give it to Ford, even in my less than patient moments along with some inappropriate words they never (from dealership to the factory) ever said anything rude nor any attitude from them. State Farm, a different story-from the first call-the guy was pure smart ***. Said not contaminated fuel, was excessive wear and tear, poor maintenance. Dude was a professional smartass for sure with attitude. In the end to question them and have to do a secondary test, it was a pissing match at that point, no way he was going to let me win. One more time though....Ford should improve fuel system. If damage as this from the gas station pump can cause from $12,000 to $25,000 (yes $25k as engine damage can occur) then I would think Ford should work on this. Diesel is dirty full of moisture fuel, Bio (thanks to Al Gore) is in all Diesel now and more of an issue too. Ford....work on the challenges and these issues can go away. As well Ford should do a further test instead of "PCV Valve rusted, inform client warranty void and provide estimate, cease further work until client directs further" How about Remove Fuel Pump, open up and inspect pump to verify no issue, Run Magnet into tank to check for fuel contamination, FORD did none of this.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:32 AM

Another truck with an aux tank bites the dust. I'm starting to believe there is a correlation between contaminated fuel systems and aux fuel tanks.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
Another truck with an aux tank bites the dust. I'm starting to believe there is a correlation between contaminated fuel systems and aux fuel tanks.
Point taken, but large volume aux tanks have been installed since Ford's tank is only 26 gallons, a powerhouse truck that gets short runs between fill up while towing. Maybe in some cases isolated issues may be the culprit. New Aluminum tank installed in bed, blown clean and sealed prior to shipment, seal broken, inspected again prior to install. rust in ford tank, red rust particles, aluminum does not corrode with red rust, only steel. Fittings to aux tank are brass, all inspected and no rust present, no metal in aux tank valve that corroded. My assumption, as is the Ford Dealership, and Ford: "contaminated fuel" from fuel station pump unofficially, a good while ago as the damage was long term, prior to first fuel filter change from Manufacture date. Ultimate question I would have is why can one install aux tanks in trucks for decades and all of the sudden that is a questionable issue. Yes may cause more moisture - condensation but where did the steel metal rusted particles come from that generated the abrasive issue and rust. Why is there not a filter system on the 6.7 that catches this. Why have other 6.7's had issue same w/o aux fuel tanks. I knew I would get comments on the aux tank but also feel it important to give all detail, thus my mention as it is. I do still have firm conviction the aluminum tank did not cause the rust. Who am I to say-I am not an engineer not an expert 6.7 diesel guy, just $12,000.00 poorer due to this issue. Might also consider Ford Dealerships install aluminum aux fuel tanks too. I did choose to go with a Titan, all Poly tank and remove the aux bed tank all together. I drive a good quantity of miles. I was advised though if my mileage slows to not let the diesel sit too long in the tank, heavy moisture is normal now. Hence all fuel filters will be changed out at oil change/5k miles.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:02 PM

I wasn't pointing a finger at you. It seems like 75-80% of the time the people with issues have Titan tanks. I don't know where the moisture would come from, but there definitely seems to be some sort of connection.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:08 PM

If aux tanks aren't kept full, the heat of the sun cycles with the cool off the evening and condensation forms
Old 07-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
I wasn't pointing a finger at you. It seems like 75-80% of the time the people with issues have Titan tanks. I don't know where the moisture would come from, but there definitely seems to be some sort of connection.
no offense taken. Titan tank was just installed all poly in place of OEM. The previous one was in bed and aluminum, exposed to direct sunlight so hoping the Titan does not do the same. I cycle a full tank to empty in about 4 o 5 days max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.