Low fuel pressure/Reduced engine power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low fuel pressure/Reduced engine power

First things first, this is my first Powerstroke. Not my first diesel, but it has been 10 plus years since I had one. I changed the fuel filters on my 2012 SRW F-350 yesterday. Followed the manual for purging the system, started the truck right up, and drove the 60 miles to work, and noticed that the LP fuel pump was loud. I noticed it at an idle at a stop light. Brushed it off as a noner, and assumed it was a normal thing after changing filters. Got in this morning and fired it up and started my 60 mile drive home. I got within five miles of home, and the dash lit up and the truck started screaming at me. The CEL came on, and I got two warnings. First was "Low Fuel Pressure", and the second was "Reduced Engine Power". I limped the last five miles home, and started the troubleshooting. I checked the connections on the engine mounted filter, and there were no leaks. (Burned the crap out of myself in the process, turns out after 60 miles, the engine compartment gets hot! Who knew!) I then rolled under the truck and got to looking at the frame mounted unit. Again, no obvious fuel leaks. I thought I had tightened the cap to the stop, because it stopped, but I guess I hadn't. So, I stuck the wrench back on it and tightened it the rest of the way to the stop. I turned the key on, and followed the procedure in the owners manual for purging the system, and fired it back up. The truck started right back up. The warnings both cleared, but the CEL did not. So here is my question, will the CEL clear, or do I need to take it somewhere to get it cleared? Also, why did it take 115 miles for the truck to throw the codes if there was a leak when I started it the first time? Any and all help would be great, and thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 PM

I think you will need to take the truck in to have the CEL reset. Not sure what would have caused it though. There may be a possibility of the light being on for other codes...? Maybe a tech can give you some insight while they are re-setting the light?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

usually it would throw a p0087 low fuel press,seen customers perf there own maintnace and not tighten the lower(primary) fuel filter housing.usually u can see a notch on the cap and on the pump itself and always the sensor and wire will match up perfectly.u would have to get the dtc deleted adn make sure u let them know u left the fuel filter housing loose causing air to get in,that way they dont charge u for diag of that code!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

by now you figured out the CEL resets itself if condition is corrected, I have the same problem I just replaced my filters,frist time@ 15000 miles because of low presser last week and today it broke down on my way to work, same conditions just like I had before I replace fuel filters low fuel pressure and reduce speed, I think I'm going to have to try your fix, PS is the replacement O-ring pre-lubed or do you have to put some sort of grease on it, could this possibly be the problem!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.