intermittent knocking noise coming from bell housing area - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
intermittent knocking noise coming from bell housing area

Just noticed this today... knocking noise coming definitely from the bell housing area on the transmission... sounds as if the torque converter bolts are loose.
There was a thread that someone else posted a video of this noise and the dealer fixed it. If anyone can lead me to that thread that'll be great.
I'm not sure if it was the torque converter itself, or the oil pump that was going bad?

This is a 2012. I'd take it to the dealer, but i'm highly modified and rather fix it myself.. but don't want to replace parts that aren't needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you change the oil recently? Mine makes the racket to after a 5-40 oil change.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm glad I found this. I changed my oil and it was making that noise but it looks like it's going away now after some miles on the new oil.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes... I did change my oil the day before it started making this noise. Previously I was using rotella t6 5w40. Now that it is summer I decided to try amsoil's diesel 15w40. Idk if I should just run 5w40 year round or swap back and forth. By searching I found out this noise is called "typewriter tick" and ford has a bulletin all about it, and that it is perfectly normal. It's weird because the 1st oil change I ever did never made this noise.. but now on the 2nd oil change it does. I currently have close to 900 miles on the new oil and the noise is still there, but definitely quieter then what it was to begin with. It's a rather scarey noise to hear though...makes you feel like you shouldn't drive with it that way.
Next oil change I will go back to the rotella just to see if it still makes that noise with that oil.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:35 PM

I previously ran the T-5 10-30 and last change was T-6 5-40. The 5-40 seemed to make it louder. I never had an engine get louder with an oil change, you would think the opposite. Apparently this is common with the 6.7 Scorpion.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This is my second oil change with T6 on the first one I didn't not hear any noise. This time I did oil and fuel filter change and I started to hear it and thought maybe I did something wrong but the noise sounds like it comes from the bell housing of the tranny.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 AM

I guess after some break-in miles things start to loosen up and make some racket. Ford says it's normal and mine has about 500 miles since the oil change and it's a little quieter.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just got back from a trip.. I currently have 1700 miles on the new oil and it is definitely quieter, but the noise is still there. IDK how long it takes to go completely away.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 AM

i had the same noise but im deleted and tuned and also had just changed my oil when i noticed the noise. i brought it in to my dealership they told me to put everything back to stock so i did. after i put everthing back i started the truck and no noise?? i still have not got the chance to delete it all again will let you know what happens i will prob have time on wed.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Mine is all stock and I had the noise bad with Rotela T-6 5-40 synthetic. Prior to that oil change I had used the T-5 10-30 and it wasn't as loud.
I have about 600 miles on the 5-40 and the noise isn't noticeable (loud knocking).
It's the weirdest thing I've ever heard in a diesel after an oil change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.