6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 05-24-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Blown Head Gaskets? WTF Now?

Well, before I get flamed, I did try the search, not too much luck, so bear with me. Have a '12 F350 CCLB DRW FX4 with the 6.7 and 6r140, 92k miles on the clock. To date, mods include Ranch hand front replacement, B&W turnover, and an H&S on stock tuning, no DPF because, as you can see from the mileage on a year old truck, I use the hell out if it, and it has al, the power needed to do the job just fine, just wanted better fuel mileage, what with traveling an average of 9500 miles a month.

That being said, I had a load to Ulster, PA from Houston and noticed a bad coolant smell coming through the vents. Thought wtf...got there, checked coolant, added half gallon, came home and researched. Thought maybe coolant feed line o-ring on turbo...nope. After 4 days of scratching their heads, the guys at the Ford house (no names, but located at corner of Spring Cypress and 249 in Houston) decided it was blown head gaskets.

Now the fun part..."you have a straight pipe and tuner, warranty denied!" My response, "prove to me my mod of no power added dpf delete caused the head gaskets to rupture..." We are currently at an impasse until someone from Ford corporate decides one way or the other.

Now I fully understand the whole "pay to play" idea, and for the most part, I agree with it. If it comes down to it, the truck is going to PTP in Tomball for new gaskets, ARP's and an EGR delete, all on my dime...but I fail to understand how running a minimax on stock settings with no DPF would do anything different to the head gaskets than just running completely stock. Any ideas/insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2012 F350 FX4 Crew Cab Dually Lariat
Ranchhand Front w/Rigid LED's
MiniMax (usually mild only)
Straight pipe & EGR Blocked
Firestone air bags and a B&W to haul with
100 gal gravity feed tank for longer legs
Gig 'Em Aggies

post #2 of 55 Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You are going to have to raise some heck over it. Its your word saying you werent using the tunes vs. theres. Sorry about your truck.
post #3 of 55 Old 05-25-2013, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Oh trust me I plan to...way I understand the law, they have to prove that the mods I did caused the failure. While it will be my word against theirs, there is no way to prove that I ran it hot (which I really didn't do...dumb to tow heavy, upwards of 14k on the deck of a 9k trailer, while tuned hot). I understand where they are coming from, but their reaction was total bs in my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2012 F350 FX4 Crew Cab Dually Lariat
Ranchhand Front w/Rigid LED's
MiniMax (usually mild only)
Straight pipe & EGR Blocked
Firestone air bags and a B&W to haul with
100 gal gravity feed tank for longer legs
Gig 'Em Aggies

post #4 of 55 Old 05-25-2013, 06:11 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow, this is the first gasket problem I've heard out of a 6.7. Did they confirm it was the problem or just speculate?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 F-350 Lariat FX4 CCSB
2.5" Carli Commuter
Carli High Mount Steering Stabilizer
AFE Cold Air Intake
Truxedo Lo Pro QT
Line-X
Dura-Flap Mud Flaps
Timbren SES
High Idle
35x12.5x20 Toyo AT II Extreme
H&S Mini Maxx, 4" AFE Turbo Back
post #5 of 55 Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Can you put your exhaust back on to return it to stock? If so then take it to another Ford place.

13 F250 Lariat CC SB 3.31 EL axle w/SPE full lock module, Ultimate Interior,
H&S Big Single 64mm NON VGT Turbo Kit, Cast manifolds, NON Cobra downpipe, Mini MAxx w/H&S stock fuel tune
Down Pipe back 304T 4" Diamond Eye, AFE stage II intake, front 4 link,
Road Armor bumpers front/rear. N Fab nerf steps. 20" American Force w/Trxus 33",
Dura flaps, Air Lift rear bags, 34k+ miles, Stage 3 traction block bars.

2012 F250 TOTALED.

Civilian Contractor Airforce 2+ years Asscrackistan.
post #6 of 55 Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Premium Member

Bring it up to Conroe. They seem to be more mod friendly up here...

2013 F250 CC/SWB Lariat FX4
325/60/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers

NOBAMA!!

Is it just me, or does it seem like all Dodge drivers are A$$holes?
post #7 of 55 Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 AM

I would make sure its actually a head gasket issue. We have had a couple of H2O pumps leak... but most commonly, it is the radiator itself that is the source of the leak.
I would NOT leave it up to the dealership to troubleshoot.... they may be simply looking for someones checkbook to raid!
Which cooling system was low on coolant? There are two seperate systems under the hood of your truck..
post #8 of 55 Old 05-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Banned

Tell Ford to take the scan tool and read the maximum commanded torque value out of the ecm/tcm. Have them pull it and print it while you watch. Then have them do a bone stock rig. This will prove you never added any power to the engine.
That may give you some leverage.
post #9 of 55 Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I've explained this before, but can't remember where.

If you take the emissions control devices off your truck, you need to modify the programming in the PCM to account for this.

This modified programming does not meet EPA standards, or has not undergone any testing by FoMoCo to determine it's reliability or any other output from the tuning.

That being said, they can refuse warranty based on this. The onus is not on them to prove that it DID cause the failure, but on you to prove that it did NOT cause the failure.

In Canada, FMC sees this as emissions tampering, and can terminate your emission warranty. The reprogram is modifying the powertrain with non-approved modifications, and can cause the termination of your powertrain warranty.

PM me your vin and exact mileage. If the truck is not flagged for warranty denial in OASIS - you could put it back to stock and take it to a different dealer.

Ford Senior Diesel Technician
2008 F-350 4x4 Off Road 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel
There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.
The arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.
post #10 of 55 Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 PM

^^^what he said. Technically, just adding a slightly bigger tire size to a bone stock truck could be cause for denying a warranty claim. They could say you added stress to the drivetrain and motor due to the extra weight.

To give you some hope, in February, I had my 6.4s motor replaced under warranty at 52,000 miles. When I took it in, I had my H&S tuning installed and DPF/Cat delete and Ford knew all of that up front. I thought I was taking the truck in for a minor code issue and it turned out to have a scarred piston wall. Long story short, they covered it and I got all sorts of other miscellaneous parts at the same time...the best part is that they put in ARPs for me on the new motor.

Let us know what happens with your 6.7.

2008 F-350 CCLB
2004 F-250 CCSB (sold)
1997 F-250 CCSB (sold)
1994 F-250 ECLB (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode