6.7 Blown Head Gaskets? WTF Now? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Blown Head Gaskets? WTF Now?

Well, before I get flamed, I did try the search, not too much luck, so bear with me. Have a '12 F350 CCLB DRW FX4 with the 6.7 and 6r140, 92k miles on the clock. To date, mods include Ranch hand front replacement, B&W turnover, and an H&S on stock tuning, no DPF because, as you can see from the mileage on a year old truck, I use the hell out if it, and it has al, the power needed to do the job just fine, just wanted better fuel mileage, what with traveling an average of 9500 miles a month.

That being said, I had a load to Ulster, PA from Houston and noticed a bad coolant smell coming through the vents. Thought wtf...got there, checked coolant, added half gallon, came home and researched. Thought maybe coolant feed line o-ring on turbo...nope. After 4 days of scratching their heads, the guys at the Ford house (no names, but located at corner of Spring Cypress and 249 in Houston) decided it was blown head gaskets.

Now the fun part..."you have a straight pipe and tuner, warranty denied!" My response, "prove to me my mod of no power added dpf delete caused the head gaskets to rupture..." We are currently at an impasse until someone from Ford corporate decides one way or the other.

Now I fully understand the whole "pay to play" idea, and for the most part, I agree with it. If it comes down to it, the truck is going to PTP in Tomball for new gaskets, ARP's and an EGR delete, all on my dime...but I fail to understand how running a minimax on stock settings with no DPF would do anything different to the head gaskets than just running completely stock. Any ideas/insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

You are going to have to raise some heck over it. Its your word saying you werent using the tunes vs. theres. Sorry about your truck.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:03 AM

Oh trust me I plan to...way I understand the law, they have to prove that the mods I did caused the failure. While it will be my word against theirs, there is no way to prove that I ran it hot (which I really didn't do...dumb to tow heavy, upwards of 14k on the deck of a 9k trailer, while tuned hot). I understand where they are coming from, but their reaction was total bs in my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Emergency Services

Wow, this is the first gasket problem I've heard out of a 6.7. Did they confirm it was the problem or just speculate?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Can you put your exhaust back on to return it to stock? If so then take it to another Ford place.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Bring it up to Conroe. They seem to be more mod friendly up here...
Old 05-25-2013, 09:12 AM

I would make sure its actually a head gasket issue. We have had a couple of H2O pumps leak... but most commonly, it is the radiator itself that is the source of the leak.
I would NOT leave it up to the dealership to troubleshoot.... they may be simply looking for someones checkbook to raid!
Which cooling system was low on coolant? There are two seperate systems under the hood of your truck..
Old 05-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Banned

Tell Ford to take the scan tool and read the maximum commanded torque value out of the ecm/tcm. Have them pull it and print it while you watch. Then have them do a bone stock rig. This will prove you never added any power to the engine.
That may give you some leverage.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I've explained this before, but can't remember where.

If you take the emissions control devices off your truck, you need to modify the programming in the PCM to account for this.

This modified programming does not meet EPA standards, or has not undergone any testing by FoMoCo to determine it's reliability or any other output from the tuning.

That being said, they can refuse warranty based on this. The onus is not on them to prove that it DID cause the failure, but on you to prove that it did NOT cause the failure.

In Canada, FMC sees this as emissions tampering, and can terminate your emission warranty. The reprogram is modifying the powertrain with non-approved modifications, and can cause the termination of your powertrain warranty.

PM me your vin and exact mileage. If the truck is not flagged for warranty denial in OASIS - you could put it back to stock and take it to a different dealer.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 PM

^^^what he said. Technically, just adding a slightly bigger tire size to a bone stock truck could be cause for denying a warranty claim. They could say you added stress to the drivetrain and motor due to the extra weight.

To give you some hope, in February, I had my 6.4s motor replaced under warranty at 52,000 miles. When I took it in, I had my H&S tuning installed and DPF/Cat delete and Ford knew all of that up front. I thought I was taking the truck in for a minor code issue and it turned out to have a scarred piston wall. Long story short, they covered it and I got all sorts of other miscellaneous parts at the same time...the best part is that they put in ARPs for me on the new motor.

Let us know what happens with your 6.7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.