6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 won't start intermittent

Came out from store put key in ignition 2 warnings came up trailer brake module fault and service advance trac . Tried off an on while waiting for tow . After an hour began starting intermittently. I notice when it won't start glow plug icon doesn't appear when key is turned to position where its supposed to but a minute later it does and will start. Drove it to the dealer with tow truck following.Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am travelling out of state with it on thurs. and am quite aggravated.
Thanks
post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

update

Dealer checked yesterday couldn't replicate the issue .They checked bcm pcm history etc. no trouble found. Drive 20+ miles no problem then same warnings came on truck stalled ,turned key off and on three times restarted no problem. my two worst fears intermittent electrical issues and no one on this site or dealer is familiar with. This doesn't sound familiar to anyone?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

only time my truck failed to start was due to the throttle actuator sticking closed. did not generate a code until I FORCED it to start by fogging it with ether. It acts completely stupid every time the batteries get weak... but doesnt die..
post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canrckid View Post
Dealer checked yesterday couldn't replicate the issue .They checked bcm pcm history etc. no trouble found. Drive 20+ miles no problem then same warnings came on truck stalled ,turned key off and on three times restarted no problem. my two worst fears intermittent electrical issues and no one on this site or dealer is familiar with. This doesn't sound familiar to anyone?
Did you ever solve the mystery of what was causing this? My truck is doing this exact same thing now.

Mike
post #5 of 6 Old 01-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
^^yes! check the batteries. specifically the passenger side battery. there is a high current junction that runs directly off of it. that junction feeds power to many devices, including the pcm. a weak battery can and will cause a no crank condition, not a slow crank like older vehicles, but no crank. not to mention all sorts of other issues. have them load tested. the colder weather is very straining on your charging system

the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least
post #6 of 6 Old 01-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I appreciate you replying right back to me. When you say right battery I presume you mean the passenger side. I was stuck up town at 9 at night when I registered with the site to send my question to you. After I sent it having no better option I popped the hood to have a look at the fuse and relay box. I was going to pull some relay and swap places just to see if it would change anything. I had inadvertently left the Ignition switch on and while trying to pull F48 I heard a mechanical/vacuum sound as something got energized. I tried to start it and sure enough it did. I drove home that night and next morning the same story. No start, trailer brake module fault and seevice advance track. This time I deliberately left ignition on and went straight for F48. It immediately made the same noise and started. This happened 4 more times that morning. At the post office, at Oreilly's at Ford where I purchased a new relay and at the minute lube place where I had the batteries load tested. Interestingly the driver side battery tested bad so I changed them both. With new fully charged batteries on both sides it wouldnt start until I messed with F48. That is when I replaced F48 with a new relay and the problem has gone away.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode