/** * vBulletin 3.8.7 CSS * Style: 'Powerstroke'; Style ID: 6 */ @import url("http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style-023aa0bf-00006.css"); Steering Gear Box - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering Gear Box

2011 F350 DRW 50,000 miles
Took to dealer today for power steering leak - looked like it was coming from a line.
Just got the call - Gear Box bad... $1,200

Anyone expirience or hear about a problem liek this. Not an item I would expect to have an issue with after 50K miles on a 2011 model

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Emergency Services

My steering pump went bad, covered under warranty. Mine was coming out of the box itself not a line. Tried tightening the bolts on top before I brought it in but the gasket inside must have failed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

steering gear box

They came back this afternoon and offered to cover $1,000 of the $1,200 cost - i pay a $200 "deductible".

Fast answer makes me suspicious, but with 50K miles not sure if i shouldn’t just take it.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Emergency Services

I'd pay it to save the grand. Shouldn't it covered by the power train warranty?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats what I would have thought as well. They say no, not part of powertrain warranty. Dealer also indicated they have not see the issue previously and do not beleive it is common or wide spread because the SE parts distribution center only has one unit in stock with no recent movement - said they would have more in stock if it was something happening more widespread.....?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I bought a salvage title 11 and repaired it myself. Once repaired the steering went out, so I put in a new pump, worked for 2 days then went. Took to a dealer and they put in a new pump, lasted the road test. I brought them a used gear box they put it in and the pump went again. They put in a new pump, gearbox, and it works but still a little on the stiff side for steering, and when i hit bumps, it feels like the steering shaft is wobbling around in the column. Side note, they tried to blame the used gearbox for contaminating the steering system with metal filings, then I put a magnet in the original gearbox, and like magic, there was filiings in there. Some people will try to pull anything, frigg'n a$$hole's. Anyone have any suggestions to stop the wobbling of the steering wheel?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordcrazy View Post
I bought a salvage title 11 and repaired it myself. Once repaired the steering went out, so I put in a new pump, worked for 2 days then went. Took to a dealer and they put in a new pump, lasted the road test. I brought them a used gear box they put it in and the pump went again. They put in a new pump, gearbox, and it works but still a little on the stiff side for steering, and when i hit bumps, it feels like the steering shaft is wobbling around in the column. Side note, they tried to blame the used gearbox for contaminating the steering system with metal filings, then I put a magnet in the original gearbox, and like magic, there was filiings in there. Some people will try to pull anything, frigg'n a$$hole's. Anyone have any suggestions to stop the wobbling of the steering wheel?

The wobbling in the wheel could be unbalanced tires or a bad steering stabilizer.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2013 F250 6.7L Lariat Fx4 Short Bed

My power steering gear box had to be replaced due to a leak when the truck had only 2K miles on it. I was almost ready to sell it back when that happened.

Last edited by opieford; 09-06-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordcrazy View Post
Ok so, just over 3 months and 15,000 miles later and POOF, steering failed again. Metal filings in the reservoir. Dealer says warranty is 12 months 12,000 miles, and I have 15,000 miles on it, so no warranty, and $1,900 for new steering system. Really? So I call Ford and here is what they say, "Well our master service manual says the in this case the gearbox is to be replaced, the pump replaced, the lines and reservoir flushed, and reinstall new gearbox and new pump. That is what the dealer did 3 months ago and $15,000 miles ago. Anyone else see the problem with this? So Ford says that the dealer did the right thing according to the Master service manual. So the power steering system is basically a closed loop hydraulic system, right? If you have metal filings in the system, how do you change and clean everything and leave the power steering cooler unchanged and unflushed? I would think that most of the filings would collect in the cores of the cooler, or am I crazy? Any suggestions on how to deal with 'Stupid". I need new gear box, pump and ps cooler, Ford says no to assistance, dealer say's no with the exception of selling me parts at a discount, but I am on the hook for the rest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So today I pick up my truck, (one with failed steering system) it steers better than it did after they repaired it! It has a stiff spot that keeps moving around, but you can 'One finger" turn it in both directions. I checked for metal filings, as the dealer said it was full of, and found nothing. Here is my delema, I have $1400 worth of new gearbox, pump, and cooler, do I try to filter then purge the system, install new cooler, new oil and see what happens? Or, do I remove everything and go all new? I would think that if there were catostrophic damage, it would progressively get worse, not better. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.