OH NO, my new F-250 is starting to have "issues"!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OH NO, my new F-250 is starting to have "issues"!!

Bought a leftover 2011 F-250 Lariat 6.7 last spring brand new, its got about 10k miles now and up until about 8k miles was amazing, great power, mileage, acceleration, it made my 12v cummins really seem like a tractor. Anway, at about 8k, it started feeling like it wa in tow haul mode all the time (and i do not do any heavy towing), the clutch fan seems to run wide open (Sounds like a jet engine, the mileage is dropping around 2-3 mpg. The tranny doesn't feel like it shifts hard, it just feels like its holding itself in gear too long, and the fact that the once quiet motor now sounds like a jet turbine when you take off is kind of concerning. Took it to the dealer this week, no error codes, but I told them this is NOT the same truck I bought a year ago. They said it's not going to drive like it did when you got it! Now how would any truck owner take that, what kind of answer is that? Has anyone had any symptoms like mine, or have any recommendations on what it could be? Thanks.

Last edited by Trem720; 04-05-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's sh*tty. Mileage should increase as the motor breaks in. I'd find a different dealer.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just a thought, but could it be a defective clutch fan? If the clutch is binding, the fan may not release causing excessive cooling and noise, especially at highway speeds, plus that would rob some power and a fan that runs under resistance or all the time would eat mileage too?

Last edited by Trem720; 04-05-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

ya my mileage is 4 miles less than my dads we r both deleted im out of warranty but im thinking you and I are having the same problem fan clutch hung up or something
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM

ok... you are gonna think this is crazy, but my 2011 F550 did the same thing.. it was the high pressure switch in the a/c system. It kept sending faulty signals to the ecu/ecm, thinking the pressure was excessive, so it would constantly engage the fan clutch to try and cool the refrigerant down.. Finally got to the point the a/c would not engage
Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 PM

was it throwing any kind of codes , were is this sensor located , and what did they do to pin point this
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

same question as above.
I've been thinking that my fan clutch was going bad after noticing that it seems to be on constantly. Even when i start the truck in the morning the fan seems to be on which doesn't sound right..
My mileage dropped down to 16mpg overall and i'm deleted.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM

one more week and i will be able to go to a dealer and dig for a for sure answer . this fan deal is pissing me off
Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM

I drive an F550, so they are used to us complaining about them being gutless and consuming fuel like a crackhead buying Sudafed..
The Fan clutch started engaging wheile travelling down highways at 70 mph... it was already getting hot outside, so at first, I didnt think too much about it... after a couple months it got to the point where it was disengaging the a/c compressor and the fan clutch started running almost all the time... I checked the system for freon level, it was ok.... took it in to the dealership, at first, they were thinking the fan clutch was out, but while talking to the tech, i mentioned that the a/c system disengaging and the fan clutch roaring seemed to be happening together.....
According to him, the high pressure switch/sensor reports back to the ECU/ECM/PCM.... (whatever its called) and can control the clutch based on high side readings.... sensor was faulty and telling controller the pressure was too high, controller locked up the fan clutch in an effort to cool the refrigerant down and decrease pressure.
Thats how it was explained to me anyway... All I know is the a/c works great and the fan rarely comes on...
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM

thats strange but make since . ill be home Monday if Chesapeake stays with there plan lol . when i go the dealer ill keep this in mind was all this work under done under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.