New Truck, 400 miles, Tires all cracked around rims - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 05:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy New Truck, 400 miles, Tires all cracked around rims

Just picked up my New 2012 F350 6.7 CC 4x4 SWB KR, drove it home 200 miles, decided to give it the "Proud Papa" inspection. Everything is Great except all 4 Michelins are very weather cracked where they seat next to the rim.

I got a awesome deal as this 2012 was on the lot over a year and I understand tires are warrantied by the tire manufacture and not by Ford.

Searched the forum and noticed the same issues with others. Some got new tires and some were told to get lost.

For those that had tires replaced, were they replaced by a Ford dealer or an authorized Michelin Dealer? These are the 20" size. I've had Michelins on almost every vehicle I own and never had an issue until now.

Is this a defect in these tires or is it Global Warming as I suspect the excuse will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There's a known problem with the Michelin tires. Take it to the dealer. The answer is different every time...crap shoot.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Mine were replaced at the dealership in Jan. I believe.....for the same problem.

The Svc. Dept. Mgr. told me he wasn't sure that they'd replace them under warranty. I told him "that's fine but I want it documented and if they deny the warranty claim I want the reply in writing so that if I have an accident and injure or kill somebody as a result of these tires I have some liability recourse".

I got the call the next day.....they replaced my tires under warranty.

The new tires do not show any such cracking or checking.

For those who are denied warranty replacement, I'd suggest getting it in writing at the least. For me, I'd take good photos in natural sunlight and then send them to NHTSA along with all the facts (date of purchase, mileage, etc.) and mention the threads on the forums, like this one.....maybe even providing the links.

Last edited by JCZ; 03-15-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That's some good advice right there.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpwrstroke7 View Post
That's some good advice right there.
Agreed. MD's do the same thing when insurance companies send letters that suggest they alter prescribing or procedure behavior. "Not a problem. Please have your attorney send me a letter saying that you assume all liability due to your pressure for me to switch."
Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 AM

Well after some haggling I got Michelin to agree to 90%. They started at 50% and we compromised at 90% that they would reimburse on a new set of tires. They never admitted defective tire, however said it was environmental exposure of vehicle sitting on lot over 12 months, basically blamed it in the dealer for not protecting tires from UV exposure..

I decided to replace today with BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO and upped the size to 285/65R20. Since Michelin owns BF Goodrich there wasn't many options and I've had good luck with these before.

Thanks to all for their insight and contributions.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

You'll like the BFGs... an AWESOME all around tire. They tend to last a while under a heavy truck.

...and on a side note... that is a BS excuse for the tire dry-rot. My trailer's tires have 4 years on them with a little color fade (that I could probably cure with tire shine).
Old 03-16-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedorama View Post
Well after some haggling I got Michelin to agree to 90%. They started at 50% and we compromised at 90% that they would reimburse on a new set of tires. They never admitted defective tire, however said it was environmental exposure of vehicle sitting on lot over 12 months, basically blamed it in the dealer for not protecting tires from UV exposure..

I decided to replace today with BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO and upped the size to 285/65R20. Since Michelin owns BF Goodrich there wasn't many options and I've had good luck with these before.

Thanks to all for their insight and contributions.
Well, the up side is that you were successful in getting them to stand behind 90% replacement value (not sure how many miles you had on them). I'm sure you could have got 100% if you wanted to push it that far but 90% is good.

Interesting that they said it was an environmental exposure issue. They couldn't claim that with me because the date code on the tires showed that they were just under seven months old and they weren't on the truck the first day of manufacture.

They know they have a liability issue or they'd never have replaced anybody's tires.

My experience with the BF Goodrich All Terrain Radial TAs (years ago) was very good on both my Nissan Harbody and my F-350 dually. I'm not sure what the "KO" is. But those tires had great all around traction.....climbing off road, dirt, mud, snow, rain and dry roads......just a great all around tire.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What is the load rating on the BFG's. If they are "D" rated not a good choice for a heavy super duty. A lot of people say that cause or magnify death wobble.

My tires are checked as well, and I noticed it at the lot, I do not think that they will last long enough to be a concern.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:58 AM

They are load range E
They ride a little firmer than the michelins and handle much better in the turns

I had Michelins on my 2011 KingRanch for 20k miles and these feel better in every way so far

FYI. Michelin owns BFG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.