popping noise while turning sharply only in 4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
popping noise while turning sharply only in 4x4

Hello,
i have a 2012 f350 with only about 6000 miles on it. I only used 4x4 twice now, and noticed when turning left or right sharply there is a popping noise coming from the left front tire area only. It doesn't make it when you turn really slow, but when you press the gas the noise definitely gets way louder. To me it sounds like the joints in the yoke are loose (that type of noise) but it definately made me turn 4x4 off incase something were to break. No this noise is not the tires "skipping" it makes this noise in snow.

I took the truck into a truck center that does warranty work, and they heard the noise and even said it definitely sounds abnormal and something isn't right. So i left it there and they worked on it for 4 hours and couldn't find anything wrong. They then said they test drove another same year superduty and that one makes the same type of noise and it must be normal!! To me this just sounds highly unlikely that the truck should make any noise like this. I then asked how come the noise only comes from the drivers side, and not the passenger's side. They didn't have an answer for that.

So i figured i'd post on here to see if anyone else gets this noise? I was thinking of taking it to the actual ford dealership for a second opinion but it worries me because i'm deleted/tuned and i hate for them to put a red flag in the computer system on my warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like they didn't do a good job diagnosing?

the Dana super 60 has been the same for a long time

and I never heard that a left popping noise is normal LOL
Old 02-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
sounds like they didn't do a good job diagnosing?

the Dana super 60 has been the same for a long time

and I never heard that a left popping noise is normal LOL

It did cross my mind that maybe they were getting frustrated by not being able to figure out the noise... so the easy answer is "it's normal" haha.

That makes sense, if the dana super 60 has been the same for all these years, the older trucks should make the same noise.
I'm HOPING someone ran into this problem and maybe can guide me in the right direction. Or if their is a service bulletin on it possibly.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

My truck's in the sig, and I have the same popping noise on a sharp turn in 4wd. It also happens to me in the snow but only in packed snow which makes me think it's the front tires skipping. It doesn't do it in ice or mud.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamouskonrad View Post
Hello,
i have a 2012 f350 with only about 6000 miles on it. I only used 4x4 twice now, and noticed when turning left or right sharply there is a popping noise coming from the left front tire area only. It doesn't make it when you turn really slow, but when you press the gas the noise definitely gets way louder. To me it sounds like the joints in the yoke are loose (that type of noise) but it definately made me turn 4x4 off incase something were to break. No this noise is not the tires "skipping" it makes this noise in snow.

I took the truck into a truck center that does warranty work, and they heard the noise and even said it definitely sounds abnormal and something isn't right. So i left it there and they worked on it for 4 hours and couldn't find anything wrong. They then said they test drove another same year superduty and that one makes the same type of noise and it must be normal!! To me this just sounds highly unlikely that the truck should make any noise like this. I then asked how come the noise only comes from the drivers side, and not the passenger's side. They didn't have an answer for that.

So i figured i'd post on here to see if anyone else gets this noise? I was thinking of taking it to the actual ford dealership for a second opinion but it worries me because i'm deleted/tuned and i hate for them to put a red flag in the computer system on my warranty.
I got a 2004 F250 and my truck makes the same noise coming from the left front only. I went as far as replacing the wheel hub assembly thinking that my bearings were going but its still there. I have crawled under with the front jacked up and can not find anything lose and thats tugging on it with a prybar. The wheel has no play when you shake it and the ball joints are fine.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfarmrboy View Post
I got a 2004 F250 and my truck makes the same noise coming from the left front only. I went as far as replacing the wheel hub assembly thinking that my bearings were going but its still there. I have crawled under with the front jacked up and can not find anything lose and thats tugging on it with a prybar. The wheel has no play when you shake it and the ball joints are fine.
Wow,
Hopefully someone will know the cure to this or what exactly is making the noise.
I'm currently working on a way to get a video of the noise in action.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 AM

popping noise while turning sharply only in 4x4

I think mine did this last night. I was in 2wd just backing up and turning. I thought maybe I hit something so I got out and checked but nothing around. Kept driving around my neighborhood trying to see if I could reenact it but couldn't get it. Any updates?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No updates as of yet. I will try and get a video of the noise, but i plan on taking it in to the actual ford dealer this week to see if they can figure out anything.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:42 PM

yea my 12 has made a few different noises in the front end since it was new.. and 4x4 and sharp turns dont work well.. it wants to slide/skip
Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I also noticed a "pop" under the drivers side floorboard when turning left at moderate speed in 4x2 mode. I can feel it directly underneath it. No clue if that could be the same culprit as the clunking in 4x4 mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.