'12 Crew Cab Long bed road vibration and death wobble - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation '12 Crew Cab Long bed road vibration and death wobble

'12 truck, fully stock 18000 before trip 23000 now.

First question is anyone with the crew cab and long bed when driving on concrete roads (not asphalt covered) seels really rough. The vibration was up and down so it was like the little bump every 10ft or however they pour the slab was being amplified and it was to the point where it was uncofortable riding in the truck. This was mostly on roads in Arkansas, Missouri and Iowa, felt it a little in Texas and Nebraska.

Second one is before the long roadtrip over christmas break I felt the shaking above I was having issues with the death wobble. I would hit a bump and then the standard shaking all over and had to slam on the brakes to regain control. Took it to the get tires balnced (didnt help), Ford balanced the tires and such and it helped some and went away for a couple weeks (also i might not have driven on the freeway much at the time) then Ford replaced the steering damper and everything felt good.
However now that the road trip is done the truck is death wobbling again.
I feel a slight pop or something loose in the steering I think.

Do yall think these might be connected and what all should I try, tell the dealer to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM

The first issue is not unusual on a HD truck. All my dodge and now my Ford HD bounce on concrete roads. There is a patch of road east of OKC that used to beat me up real bad. The Dodge 1 ton was the worst. I had to slow down over the road. Tried to use it as an excuse not to see my in laws. Didn't work. As for the second issue I don't know. My steering gets loose over bumps at speed especially in a turn. I do not believe they are related. You first issue is a characteristic of the vehicle.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

'12 Crew Cab Long bed road vibration and death wobble

I keep hearing more and more about this. Recently had a friend of ours has 34k miles on his f350 srw and started death wobble. Took it to ford, ford said they couldn't fix it. He also said it would only start if he hit a bump just right, then to get it to stop he'd have to come to a stop then proceed again. So long story short we put a dual shock stabilizer bar on the steering and it resolved the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiesel View Post
I keep hearing more and more about this. Recently had a friend of ours has 34k miles on his f350 srw and started death wobble. Took it to ford, ford said they couldn't fix it. He also said it would only start if he hit a bump just right, then to get it to stop he'd have to come to a stop then proceed again. So long story short we put a dual shock stabilizer bar on the steering and it resolved the issue.

That is a good solution and I would think have no warranty effect. My steering is too loose for my taste. Could help rectify both function and feel. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket due kit that works with stock ride height?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
That is a good solution and I would think have no warranty effect. My steering is too loose for my taste. Could help rectify both function and feel. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket due kit that works with stock ride height?
I know the kit we installed on the truck I mentioned earlier was a pro comp kit and stock ride height.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM

I have a 12 CCLB F350 and no issues at all. I am running Fox Shocks on my truck with a leveling kit up front.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 PM

I havent had time to make it to the dealer yet but i am feeling a light pop and hereing anoise in the steering so my guess it that is the reason the stabliizer went out in 4000 miles.

Where did you get your leveling kit and would that have any effect on my warenty?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 AM

My leveling kit is a readylift and it has no effect on warranty that I am aware of.

The dealer even offered to install it for me.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Your pop might be your track bar isn't torqued all the way to 350ft/lb at least that's what's needed on an 05-07.

FYI. Stabilizers really only mask the problem. This is something that began with the 05+ trucks when they went to the coil spring based front axle. I had the issue slightly when went to a leveling kit and then once lifted and larger tires it was really out of control. I also went with a dual stabilizer and the issue went away but after speaking with suspension shops it was explained the stabilizer is really only masking the issue. Aftermarket track bars (sometimes called panhard bars) are made to actually correct this issue (although I still never removed my dual stabilizer so honestly don't know if the issue went away or not). The steering on these trucks is extremely touchy once tires wear uneven or you lift them in anyway throwing the steering off.

You can YouTube ford death wobble and see this has been around for a long time. Pretty crazy still so much of an issue even in the newer trucks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 AM

Yeah I knew it was a problem on old trucks. When I went in the first time they dealer service guy said what year 06 when I said 12 his face just dropped. Im thinking tires could be a part of it but it seems to be the front components themelseves have some issues so I was going to try to get them fixed before getting new tires.

I know Carli makes some good componets so I want to get one of their kits. Im just worried about my warrenty. what all would they/could they void if I put on one of their 4.5" kits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2012, bad shaking, death wobble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.