Truck will not turn off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck will not turn off

I guess it's better then not starting. About a month ago the truck wouldn't turn off and you had to drive around the block or let it sit for a while and then try to turn it off. Now, once you start it, the truck will not turn off. When you switch the key off the motor keeps running, everything else turns off. You can even take the key out, all the gauges and everything on he dash shuts down but the motor keeps running. I have found a wiring harness under the hood that comes out of the CPU, and when I unplug it the turbo has something close on it and the motor shuts down right away. Then I unhook the battery because you can still hear some type of an electric motor going. Both dealer ships in my area did not even want me to bring it by so they could have a look at it and just show me a way to shut it down without tearing anything up. I even pulled into one of them and they wouldn't send a guy out to check it out. I understand that they are busy but you would think they could take 5 min to look at it. Well, I got it home and shut it down and unhooked the batteries. I made an appointment which is one week out to bring it in. That was first available. Truck is a 2012 with 6k miles and bone stock. Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4 View Post
I guess it's better then not starting. About a month ago the truck wouldn't turn off and you had to drive around the block or let it sit for a while and then try to turn it off. Now, once you start it, the truck will not turn off. When you switch the key off the motor keeps running, everything else turns off. You can even take the key out, all the gauges and everything on he dash shuts down but the motor keeps running. I have found a wiring harness under the hood that comes out of the CPU, and when I unplug it the turbo has something close on it and the motor shuts down right away. Then I unhook the battery because you can still hear some type of an electric motor going. Both dealer ships in my area did not even want me to bring it by so they could have a look at it and just show me a way to shut it down without tearing anything up. I even pulled into one of them and they wouldn't send a guy out to check it out. I understand that they are busy but you would think they could take 5 min to look at it. Well, I got it home and shut it down and unhooked the batteries. I made an appointment which is one week out to bring it in. That was first available. Truck is a 2012 with 6k miles and bone stock. Any ideas??
Wow! Never heard anything like this before! Sorry your dealerships are ing you. Anything aftermarket on the truck?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 2012 with 10k on it just started doing the same thing about a week ago, but mine only stays running for about 20-30 seconds after I turn the key off. I also noticed my backup camer stays on for while after taking it out of reverse.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Subscribed
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM

Dāmn. That's no good. Let us know what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 PM

hhmmm.. does it have factory/aftermarket remote start system?? My wifes Mazda did this once, it was the remote start controller acting up..
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanscat View Post
hhmmm.. does it have factory/aftermarket remote start system?? My wifes Mazda did this once, it was the remote start controller acting up..
Mine doesnt have remote start.....
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM

That's so weird, it sounds like it's cutting power to the electronics but not the injectors. Could you post up a vid???

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 PM

The truck is bone stock. No remote starter no tuner, just tires and wheels. It started out only doing it every once in a while, then it stopped doing it for a couple weeks and now it does it every time. The bad thing is I have a H&S tuner,EGR delete kit, cold air intake and full exhaust system sitting in the floor of my office. It looks like it will be a while before I have enough faith in the truck to install all of these warranty voiding parts. I have it scheduled with a local dealer for tomorrow so my plan is to pull it into there bay, hand them the keys and let them figure out how to shut it down. With my luck, I'll show them what I've been doing to get it to shut off and they will find me at fault for anything else that could be damaged from how I have shut it down. If any at all but that's just my luck. I have a 2012 Denali with the dirty max LML, fully tuned by H&S with all the same things I have bought for the ford. I have been anxious to line them up and run them down the road. I should be talking about how the two trucks compare to each other with the tuners and all but instead I talking about this. How exciting
Old 01-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have found the source of my issue. It has something to do with my "aftermarket" backup camera. I unplugged it and now the truck turns off as soon as the key is turned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.