Tire blowout, damaged electricals in front drivers firewall - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire blowout, damaged electricals in front drivers firewall

Probably a long shot, but I figured I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else has had this happen.

So I was driving down the highway doing around 65, when I started to feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel. At first, I attributed it to the Houston roads, but it started to get worse, like something was rubbing a tire or a tire was about to blow. Right about the time I started to pull over to investigate, what felt like a blowout occurred, I lost power, the engine shut off, and I heard a flapping sound in the fender well.

When I pulled over and started looking, boy was I surprised! About 3/4" of tread had come off over about 1/4 of the circumference of the tire (thus the flapping). While this was flapping around in the wheel well, it tore off the cardboardey type cover that goes in the wheel well, and evidently, Ford thought this would be a great place to stash several critical bundles of wire. Thus, my tire proceeded to shred and rip all of the wiring just forward of the driver's floorboard in the wheel well.

The truck would crank, but not turn over, and most of the auxiliary electrical was working (12V/120V sockets, radio, sync, etc.). However, the fuel gauge was not working, the trailer wiring, the in dash display warned of low coolant level.

Anyways, rant complete . I'm wondering if there are any experts out there that may know exactly what wiring is down there, and what something like this typically costs to replace. Also, whether anyone else has seen this happen. When I bought the truck, it had oversized tires on it, so I'm sure that Ford is going to use this as an excuse to not warrant the repairs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dang! Sorry to hear about that, hopefully warranty covers it. If not do you have a tire warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would think your vehicle warranty would cover that, they may whine about it but should still cover it. May have to add you ran over some junk on the road which caused the tire to blow or they may say its the tire companies fault.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
I would think your vehicle warranty would cover that, they may whine about it but should still cover it. May have to add you ran over some junk on the road which caused the tire to blow or they may say its the tire companies fault.
Generally, I would agree, but since the tires aren't factory (the guy that owned the truck before me put them on) I'm about 90% certain that's the card they're going to play.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry I meant vehicle insurance.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No warranty coverage. Didn't file with insurance, because I just made a claim with them on the same truck a month ago, so I don't want to push my luck.

All told: $2,300. *whistles*

Anyway, I had them keep the bad tire and give it to me, and I'm going to be taking lots of good pictures so I can have a conversation w/ BFG about this.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How many miles on the tire?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure exactly, since they were on the truck when I bought it used, but there are only 29,000 miles on the truck total, and these were not the factory tires (I checked the Monroney sticker).
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Man that really sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There should be a manufacture date on the tire somewhere. I doubt now that its fixed they would do anything about it but I would sure try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.