Suspension Problems Please Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Suspension Problems Please Help!

Hello I am new to the forums. I have a 2011 F350 Lariat 4WD, I have King Off-Road Racing Coil-over kit in the front. It is set on 2.5 inch level right now with 2.5 Piggy Back shocks in the rear. I have had this setup since 2000 miles and I have never had any problems what so ever until now. About a month ago I noticed that when I would hit a bump on the highway my steering would get real loose. I took it to ford and they said it was a messed up steering box so they replaced it under warranty. I got it back and still had the problem at this point I had about 28,700 miles on the truck. Well it progressively got worse and worse then two weeks ago it started death wobbling really bad when I would hit a bump on the highway I would have to brake to under 40 mph to get it to stop. So I took it back to ford and they told me they found nothing wrong and that the tech's and ford told them to stop working on it due to the aftermarket suspension. So I went to my local off-road shop in town that installed the suspension in the first place they told me they think it is the track bar. So they ordered me a ready lift anti-wobble track bar that gets rid of balljoint and does a hard mount. Well after $1000 worth of parts and labor I get it back. The death wobble is gone now but now it has the worst bump steer. I hit a bump on the highway and the steering pulls really hard to the left and the ride is TERRIBLE! I called ready lift and they told me its going to have bump steer and that I just need a good steering stabilizer and it will help. I have always been told that is just a band-aid to the problem. So here I am I don't know what to do at this point but I cant drive the truck like this. I writing this praying that someone can help me fix this issue. Ive had it aligned and it has all factory parts accept for the coil-overs in front and now the track bar. I currently have 30,000 miles. Thanks a lot! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry about the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Don't you worry about it

I went through this same thing with my 08 and I too got talked into an aftermarket track bar with solid mounts on both ends and it did ride and drive horrible. I got a new factory bar with a new ball joint mount and got an alignment and dual steering stabilizers and it drives fine now. You I'm sure are most likely suffering from lack of caster. You want it as close to 5˚ as possible.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

What did you do to correct the caster after you lifted it?

Also since that Ready Lift bar moves the pivot point to the top of the axle mount you wil have bump steer since you changed the angle of the track bar without correcting the angle of the drag link. Those 2 have to stay very close in angle or bumpsteer will occur. I doubt that even dual stabilizers would correct that.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Ok so I will order a new factory bar today when I get off work because thats what it sounds like will fix my issue. I will see if I can return this one, if not try and sell it. Skyd I didnt do anything to correct the caster when I lifted it I left it how it was. I just put the new coilovers in and thats it. What was I supposed to do? Im sorry trying to learn as I go lol. The ready lift bar on there now is mounted to the bottom where the ball joint used to be not to the top. Does that make a difference? Thanks again everyone for the help sorry im new to this.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Would it help to post a picture of the track bar setup that is on the truck now?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do not get the factory track bar. Get the Icon track bar. It will mount to the factory ball joint on the bottom. But it is adjustable I would get the one with the heim joint. If your truck is lifted at all you axle will shift about 1/4" for each 1" of lift. Also as stated above did you have castor bushing installed. If not you need to.

Last edited by vlxjim; 10-22-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

As stated, do not get a stock track bar. You need an adjustable track bar to be able to recenter you axle with. If you get the Icon track bar, I would HIGHLY recommend you get the one with the upgraded rod end. Many people have had trouble with the poly endlink.

We also make a nice heavy duty adjustable trackbar. It runs $350 and I would do free shipping for you as a forum member. More info for it can be found on our website at, 2005-2012 Ford F-250/350 Direct Replacement Adjustable Trackbar.

As far as castor is concerned, you will need to either run alignment cams in your upper ball joints to get your castor in spec or a set of 3-link arms. As your truck currently sets, you have reduced your castor. In turn this will make the truck more prone to death wobble and poor steering/tracking. If you need more help, feel free to call me. Im happy to assist in any way I can.
-Trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.