20-inch Michelins feathering and premature wear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
20-inch Michelins feathering and premature wear

At 5K miles and 3 months, my front tires showed pronounced feathering of each tread block. Took it to the dealer for a front end align and they confirmed all is within spec. They also told me that they have a couple dozen of these trucks (2012 SDs with 20 inch Michelins) with the same problem, and are in prolonged and so far unproductive conversations with Ford about them.

The dealership believes that Ford spec'd a tire that was slightly too narrow so it simply scuffs a lot and wears prematurely under the weight of a CC F350 diesel. They don't have problems with other tire brands or other wheel sets. And I paid $1300 or so markup because the truck on the lot had these wheels on it.

I'm filing a complaint with Ford, but have others heard the same? These tires won't last 25K miles. Ford says to rotate them, which simply means all four tires wear prematurely. I want new tires that don't show this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Escalated this issue with Ford. They immediately are replacing the front tires and will see about the back ones after they're rotated. The word is that the tires are too narrow and feather because both inner and outer edges scuff too much when turning. However, Ford had tested the tires and felt that this was simply a bad batch so we'll see what a new batch look like. However, there are apparently quite a lot of trucks with this problem, all with 20 inch Michelin ATX A/T's. We'll see how it goes from here. At least Ford was responsive on this.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Lucky you! I had the same problem and my dealer and 4 other dealers in the area would do nothing about it. Finally gave up and just bought wheels and tires.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine lasted to 45000 you have to rotate every 5000 to make them wear proper. Liked them so much I replaced them with another set.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:10 PM

At 5K they aren't supposed to be worn through a quarter of the rubber and feathered significantly, especially when a front end align turns up no camber maladjustment. I already had lost much to much rubber.

The Michelins are not great stoppers but have a comfortable ride. So far they are OK but not spectacular in the snow, but I'm comparing them to a set of matching-sized Duratracs.

I'll probably end up with a credit from Michelin or from Ford, and go get some other tires. Right now, it's just a series of steps to prove one pair of tires is bad, then the next, then the replacements for the originals, then all of this model that are installed. Ford and the dealer are being responsive, and the dealer is great. It's an obnoxious process and I'm probably going to have a fight with Michelin when I ask for a credit to go buy some other tires. We'll see.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanedecamp View Post
At 5K they aren't supposed to be worn through a quarter of the rubber and feathered significantly, especially when a front end align turns up no camber maladjustment. I already had lost much to much rubber.

The Michelins are not great stoppers but have a comfortable ride. So far they are OK but not spectacular in the snow, but I'm comparing them to a set of matching-sized Duratracs.

I'll probably end up with a credit from Michelin or from Ford, and go get some other tires. Right now, it's just a series of steps to prove one pair of tires is bad, then the next, then the replacements for the originals, then all of this model that are installed. Ford and the dealer are being responsive, and the dealer is great. It's an obnoxious process and I'm probably going to have a fight with Michelin when I ask for a credit to go buy some other tires. We'll see.
Mine did the same thing. Absolutely no help from the dealer (they have lost a customer for life over it). I took it to Discount Tire, they called Michelin, Michelin replaced all for tires. They are doing the same thing already. I have an F250 2012, Lariat CC, FX4, totally stock. I'm not sure what the next step is. I should not have to waste my time to replace crappy tires nor to fight Ford. I also should not have to go and drop $2K on a new set of tires when my truck only has 11K miles in it.@

BTW.....What is the contact info for Ford?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 PM

I only got 25000 miles out of my factory 275/70/18 michelins and replaced with hankook 275/70/18 and I'm very pleased!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 AM

that's a shame... I love Michelins

I've had a couple sets of the factory Goodyears on my CCLB 350 SRW and while they're not the greatest tire on earth by ANY stretch, I can't really say anything bad about how they've worn
Old 11-15-2012, 04:41 AM

only got 35k miles out of my junk michelins. put the goodyear dura trac on it and they look a lot better just hope they last a little longer as the price of the 20s are not cheap!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM

Mine did the same thing, Ford refused to do a thing. I abandoned them at 6000mi. Stock tires are junk, Ford's ability to stand behind them is lacking.

New Nittos are fine and still look new at 6000mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.