2011 6.7L KR gasping, shaking and knocking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 6.7L KR gasping, shaking and knocking

Not sure if pbruckne is still posting or if any other 6.7L owners are experiencing this, but here is my situation... After driving my 16k mile f250 king ranch around town something started to happen. Once the truck is up to temp and I get it up to speed, anything above and between 35mph and 60mph, I let off the accelerator. Then when trying to maintain speed by lightly pressing down on the accelerator, the truck starts to gasp, shake and a knocking sound comes from what sounds like under the truck. It happened three times in the last 2 weeks. I took it to the dealer and they updated the computer, checked codes (none), pulled the egr valve (clean) and changed the fuel filters. They told me Ford knows about it and is working on a fix but couldn't tell me what it was. They also told me not to baby the truck and drive it like you stole it. I admit I was used to driving the 5.4L f150 and babied it. So now that I've put a Cetane booster in this tank of fuel and drive it a little harder. The symtoms have not come back. Has anyone experienced this and found a fix. Or can pbruckne or someone else from Ford provide some insight? Thx Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had the same problem yesterday. It sounded like the engine was going to come apart. My F250 is currently at the dealer. They ran codes and it came back misfiring cylinder. They determined it was a bad injector. They had to order the injector. Should be in tomorrow. Hope this helps!
Blu
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 2012 is doing the same thing. Dealer here in Salt Lake act as if they never heard or seen this.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Welcome to my world! Dealer has no clue what it is........
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you are at elevation and under load good luck with a fix. I have an early build 2011 that I just won a lemon law case on for this same issue. It is a known issue with the exhaust system under high heat and at elevation that they have been working on a fix for since late last year. It almost always happens right after the "cleaning exhaust filter" warning. My truck was in for 10 repair attempts and out of service for 81 days over the last 16 months. Problem is 90% plus of Ford consumers are at low elevation so the problem is not getting much attention. I hate to hear this is going on with the 2012 builds because the arbitrator awarded me a replacement so maybe my problems are not over yet!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith1687 View Post
Not sure if pbruckne is still posting or if any other 6.7L owners are experiencing this, but here is my situation... After driving my 16k mile f250 king ranch around town something started to happen. Once the truck is up to temp and I get it up to speed, anything above and between 35mph and 60mph, I let off the accelerator. Then when trying to maintain speed by lightly pressing down on the accelerator, the truck starts to gasp, shake and a knocking sound comes from what sounds like under the truck.
My 12 does something similar, less than 6k miles. Runs very well when the engine is cold, starts pinging and rattling under light acceleration after the temp gage moves. Dealer says all is normal, if there was a problem the truck would know. Got to love that.

I wonder if it is a VCV issue as it appears the truck starts and runs for a bit under PCV mode until some unknown time and temperature is achieved, then changes to VCV mode. No change with or without cetane booster.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone get it fixed?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have had this issue for over a year now. The dealership finally put a recorder in my truck and it came back that there was a problem with the regen. When the the regen kicked in at speeds around 45 mph the truck would begin to shake so bad that the truck almost threw me off the road. Supposedly engineering at Ford is working on a fix, but that has not materialized yet. Today a regional customer service manager offered me a thousand dollars and said that would solve the problem. When I asked her how that solves the problem, as I am left with a 60k truck that does not work properly, her response was will this is the best we can do.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
wreedPS

Anyone get it fixed?
Most if not all of the posters on this thread probably didn't own a 6.7 to start with and there only problem was having nothing meaningful to do with their time. Check out the poster's info; first or second post, disappeared from the forum, no info on their truck that could be checked out. It would be nice if the moderators on this forum would try to minimize this type of posting by checking IP addresses, as several of the posters are probably the same person. Or another idea would be to ask a suspicious poster for the VIN number of the truck and if they would not supply that to the moderator by email, remove their post. I am not saying that all first time posters are trolls as they may never have had a reason to post until they experienced a problem. Another forum that has an active Ford rep participating has much less of this problem, as in most cases he asks for additional info which a troll can not supply
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.