6.7 bad fuel mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 bad fuel mileage

I have a 2012 f-250 with 7900 miles on it. Great truck so far with now problems. The past two days i've noticed a change in fuel mileage only getting about 13mpg on highway. It almost feels like it's dragging or i'm driving in 5th gear even though i'm not. I always travel the same roads and usually get around 17.5mpg. Sometimes is have sputter or shutter in the engine around 30-40mph.

Anyone else delt with this? It is strange that it's all of a sudden loss in fuel mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you low on def fluid? Carbon build up in the system needs to be cleaned also check the egr sensor.. I was having a similar issued dealer changed my out mpg and power went came back instancly
Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just filled def tank about a thousand miles ago.... What do you mean by carbon system needs cleaning?? I noticed the cleaning exhaust filter notice on dash twice today
Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 PM

The diesels have a exhaust cleaning system the recycled the exhaust back through the motor called an egr ... When the soot builds up it causes a carbon build up in the exhaust system... That's why you have def fluid to help break that down.... I let the truck idle for an hour or two the go and drive it on the freeway, tend to get on it a little bit then let it slow itself down then get back on it and that should allow it to send some fluid through the system and blow some soot out ....
Old 08-16-2012, 08:13 PM

By the sounds of it, seems like your newer to diesels, go into some of our forums and read up on the diesels... Heating up, cooling down, wot, eot, ect, deltas, egr's programmers, glow plugs, there is so much more behind operating a diesel then a gas motor,
Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes I am very new. I am trying to read up on everything. Just sucks only getting 12-14 mpg right now. I will try doing what you mentioned on getting on it. I hate to take it to the dealership with no dummy lights on the dash, but something surely has happened with the loss in mpg and sluggish feel.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:29 AM

Also think about running a diesel fuel treatment through the fuel and check for water in your water separator, located on the frame rail drivers side, and also possible replace your fuel filter could be clogged or have some debris in it if you sucked anything up from the bottom of the tank of you let the truck get real low on fuel

Note: if you replace your fuel filter go buy it at the dealership, a lot of people are having problems with the after market ones where there trucks are not starting
Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 AM

Here one of the other guys just posted this and I think it would be good knowledge for you to learn about the powerstroke motors

First Look: Ford's All-New 6.7-Liter V-8 Power Stroke Diesel Engine - PickupTrucks.com News
Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymileager View Post
The diesels have a exhaust cleaning system the recycled the exhaust back through the motor called an egr ... When the soot builds up it causes a carbon build up in the exhaust system... That's why you have def fluid to help break that down.... I let the truck idle for an hour or two the go and drive it on the freeway, tend to get on it a little bit then let it slow itself down then get back on it and that should allow it to send some fluid through the system and blow some soot out ....

Negative... The DEF is used to reduce the NOx emissions in the exhaust, not remove soot build up. Soot build up in the DPF is removed by regeneration cycles. Regen cycles are triggered by the PCM when pressure exceeds a set value pre-DPF, causing additional fuel to be commanded, thus creating higher exhaust temperatures which in turn burns off the trapped soot in the DPF.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Negative... The DEF is used to reduce the NOx emissions in the exhaust, not remove soot build up. Soot build up in the DPF is removed by regeneration cycles. Regen cycles are triggered by the PCM when pressure exceeds a set value pre-DPF, causing additional fuel to be commanded, thus creating higher exhaust temperatures which in turn burns off the trapped soot in the DPF.

What should I do in your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.