Boost oscillating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost oscillating

I'm wondering what would cause the boost to cycle up and down when under light throttle. Cruising, either with the right foot on the skinny pedal or with Cruise Control, does the same thing.

I don't feel it in the seat of my pants. No feeling of the truck surging, just the boost pressure going up and down.

Under full throttle it holds a steady 25psi.

This is all stock except the Minimax and KEM Green Tune. Does the same thing on Kem L3 and L4.

This does not look normal? Is this the wastegate adjustment issue? Any other clues?

Here's the vid (sorry about the music)
VIDEO0040 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have the same mods. Mine does the same exact thing as you describe except I can hear the waste gate cycling open/closed when not at highway speed say under 40mph. You can also see it on the mpg coach where it goes up and down. Set on cruise control you can see the boost as you describe and when off cruise holding constant speed it does not do it. Maybe the latter is a different issue as I have seem to have read others having that issue but not the other.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mine does it under cruise or w/ my brain controlling my foot. Only light throttle though.

I had heard of the wastegate thing and asked Mike over at KEM, he sent me this procedure, I wonder if this is the problem. Have to find this darn tool somewhere.

Still, if it were the wastegate, wouldn't it do it under full throttle?

**edit, just looked under the hood. I see why the intake is removed for clarity, that darn wastegate is buried.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 67WastegateAdjustment.pdf (995.0 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by TrickTruck; 08-07-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Supporting Vendor

Heard from Mike, he asks if I'd done the wastegate adjustment and also there's a TSB for this issue. Called my stealer and it is applicable to my VIN. Crap, 7000 mi and already a turbo?

TSB 11-12-14
Highlights from TSB:

Issue: Some F-Super Duty F-250-450 pickup truck vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine may experience an engine shudder with or without turbo flutter noise around 900-1400 RPM with steady throttle. The issue may be more noticeable at high elevation, high ambient temperature and/or when driving up a slight incline. The concern is not present during regeneration or while using cruise control. Some vehicles that exhibit the concern may set diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0299.

Service Procedure: 1) Check all continuous memory diagnostic trouble codes (CMDTCs). Are any DTCs present other than the P0299?
Yes - This article does not apply, refer to Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnostic (PC/ED) Manual and continue with normal diagnostics.
No - Proceed to Step 2.
2) Using the IDS, take a recording of the event. Enter data logger and select the following pids:
MAP_A (psi), MAF_A (g/s), EBP (psi)
RPM, APP1 (%), VGTDC (%)
EGRTP_CMD (%)
DPF_REGEN_STAT
3) Road test vehicle and duplicate the concern.
4) Make a recording of the event.
5) Review the recording taken and compare it to figure one located and the end of the article. Does the recording show MAF_A fluctuation with APP1 steady like the figure provided?
Yes - Replace the turbocharger. Refer to WSM section 303-04D.
No - This article does not apply, refer to PC/ED for normal diagnostics.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Have you returned to stock and tried to reproduce the issue? I did just that and the issue would not replicate or at least that I could tell.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

I called my stealer today and gave them the TSB. They said it was applicable to my VIN. Was I able to reproduce it? Yes I said (not really knowing.) We scheduled Thursday for turbo replacement.

So I returned to stock (H&S return to stock feature.) Took a drive, 15-20 mi of mixed traffic and interstate. The boost was rock steady at all throttle positions.

I got to my destination and figured might as well test the H&S tunes too, so I loaded them. The boost was rock steady at all throttle positions.

Whatever it is seems to be related to the KEM tunes. I've got an email into mike now...
Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

I have the same problem too. It sounds like a blown tire, turbo boost gauge drops and feel it on the gas pedal. Loose power also while this happens.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

Yours sounds more like the TSB.
Are you tuned w/ KEM? If not take it to your dealer and tell them about the TSB.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTruck View Post

Whatever it is seems to be related to the KEM tunes. I've got an email into mike now...
I agree with you the KEM tune sure seems to be suspect. Please let us know what Mike says. I was going to take it to the dealer for the TSB but when returned to stock I cannot get the problem to replicate.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

I have the Bully Dog GT Tuner, but this problem begins at 2,000 miles, with or without the tuner program. Now it has 10,000 miles. I'll return it to stock tuning for a warranty fix at dealer. I'll tell them about TSB 11-12-14 and see if they fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.