Bad factory Tires?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad factory Tires??

I noticed today that my new Michelin Tires on my 2012 F-250 that I purchased on 7/21/12 looked to be dry rotting or weather cracking near the rim. It is on all 4 tires basically all the way around the tire. Anyone else noticed this? I called Michelin and have to take it to a authorized tire shop and have them inspect it. All I can think of it has been sitting on the dealers lot for about a year doing nothing, truck had 6 miles when I picked it up. Just hope I can get them replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grish View Post
I noticed today that my new Michelin Tires on my 2012 F-250 that I purchased on 7/21/12 looked to be dry rotting or weather cracking near the rim. It is on all 4 tires basically all the way around the tire. Anyone else noticed this? I called Michelin and have to take it to a authorized tire shop and have them inspect it. All I can think of it has been sitting on the dealers lot for about a year doing nothing, truck had 6 miles when I picked it up. Just hope I can get them replaced.
Mine is the same way at 19k miles. The stock tires are a pos in my opinion.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grish View Post
I had a problem with the factory Michelins also. I started a thread on here somewhere about the whole experience. Turns out a couple of my tires were "Out of Round" or out of specs according to Michelin. My dealership refused to help, Mac Haik Ford in Houston still sucks, so I took it to Discount Tire. Within 5 minutes and phone call to Michelin I had new tires on the truck.

I am in agreement that the factory tires are POS's. But I thank Discount Tire for going the extra mile for me when Mac Haik Ford would not!!

Post a pic so we can see what you are talking about.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Supporting Vendor

Stock tires are junk and tires (mine were done 6000 mi) are not warrantyable (per Ford)

Fight it. Pull your hair out. Scream and Shout. And if all that fails, throw a tantrum.

Please video it all, could go viral like the United Smashes Guitars vid did. I absolutely LOVE what that guy did to United. Wish we had an musician with a dead Ford truck.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just noticed the same thing on mine yesterday. (3300 miles)

Just wanted to follow the outcome.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I called my dealer and was told to call Michelin directly, for the dealership is not involved with the tire warranty. So called Michelin and was told to go to the nearest authorized Michelin representative to determine if they need replacing. The place I went to does not go the extra mile for me, but anyway, I was told he couldn't do anything unless Michelin told them to. Ask if it was normal for a "new" tire to show cracking so soon and he said "yes". This is a national chain I took it to, I will not ever do business with them, not the first time I left there with the impression they could care less about my business. So when I have time, I will take it to another local tire shop and get a second opinion. I dont think tires with 1,000 miles on them should be showing any type of cracks on them anywhere.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Supporting Vendor

They shouldn't chunk out either, but they do.

Dude, I know I'm the bearer of bad tidings, but there are many many of us on the forums who have gone round and round with Ford over these crap tires. The answer is always the same: NO WARRANTY ON TIRES

My 2 cents is that you yank that trash off and sell it on ebay/craiglist. Wish I had, might have gotten some money out of them. Now they have 6000 miles on them and are junk. The new Nittos are holding up great.

Last edited by TrickTruck; 08-01-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 AM

Yes that is correct Ford does not warranty the tires. There is a supplement in your warranty package just on the tire and how to handle it. From what I understand the Michelin's on f-250 mostly are failing because they are pressured to 65 psi per door panel. The tires are load E and manufacturer psi is 85 psi. Ford lowered the psi to keep the trucks at 10k# rating while our axles are rated combined in the neighborhood of 12k#. In short we are running the tires under the manufacturers pressure rating thus causing them to wear out prematurely. I personally run 78 in the front and 80 in the rear it's a bit rougher ride than at 65 psi but I do not have any wear issues and plenty of tread left at 39000 miles. I cannot wait till these things wear out so I can put Nittos back on I got 90k miles out of my last set on my 96' 350.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonemanQA View Post
Yes that is correct Ford does not warranty the tires. There is a supplement in your warranty package just on the tire and how to handle it. From what I understand the Michelin's on f-250 mostly are failing because they are pressured to 65 psi per door panel. The tires are load E and manufacturer psi is 85 psi. Ford lowered the psi to keep the trucks at 10k# rating while our axles are rated combined in the neighborhood of 12k#. In short we are running the tires under the manufacturers pressure rating thus causing them to wear out prematurely. I personally run 78 in the front and 80 in the rear it's a bit rougher ride than at 65 psi but I do not have any wear issues and plenty of tread left at 39000 miles. I cannot wait till these things wear out so I can put Nittos back on I got 90k miles out of my last set on my 96' 350.

That is good information. Guess I never thought about that.

I just went outside and looked at mine......they have the cracking too. WTF????
Old 12-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonemanQA View Post

Just curious, which nittos did you get 90k out of?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.