vibration/bucking when in regen - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
vibration/bucking when in regen

my truck started doing this at 2000 miles and has been to the dealership. it has done it to them so they did a reflash but it is still doing it. talked to the dealership and they said ford is aware of the problem but has no solution. i local guy i know is also having this problem. anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Honestly, I wouldn't even know my truck is in regen unless I happen to catch the message. It doesn't make any different sounds or odors during this event and never has. Anyway, I hope you get it figured out. BTW, welcome Aboard.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine is doing the same thing. Seems to do this at least once per tank. I'm going to keep checking here and see when someone knows of a solution. No sense in taking it in if they don't know what's wrong. I've got 8,000 miles now. I noticed it started around 4,000 miles.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine has done this a few times but you can just barely feel it. Dealer said it was normal but if it got worse to bring it in and have it checked.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 AM

Mine is doing this as well when in sixth when you are barely on the gas at 50-55mph. Been doing it for a while, but wasn't able to associate it with regen until a couple of days ago, when it did it three different times (stop and go while regen was trying to take place). Feels like you have a flat tire or like a ujiont in the driveline is shot.

So...yesterday i noticed it was in regen again, so i stopped by the local dealership and grabbed a tech, and took him for a ride, and showed him what was going on. He said, "yep this is definately not normal, and there is something wrong". He also said, "this is not the first time i have seen or heard of this, but i am not sure that ford has a fix for it at this time".

So...we headed back to the dealership to schedule an appointment for them to look at it. I went in and did scheduled an appointment for next tuesday, as a ford engineer is going to be there to look at a 2011 who has the same issue (amongst others and has been dealing with it for almost 2 years and 30k miles - i know the guy).

Anyhow...i get ready to leave after scheduling the appointment, and i start the truck up, back up about 15', and put it in drive and go to press the gas, and the truck dies, and says stop now in message center, right in front of the dealership! Put it in drive and try to restart, nothing. I go back in and grab the same tech, and he couldn't beleive it.

He hooked his laptop up and found out that i had a bad egt sensor in the exhaust and apparantely that can shut the truck down without a check engine light or any sort of warning, WTF? Of course they didn't have one in stock, but they were nice enough to pull one off a new truck on the lot, to get me going again.

Between this, having to limp the truck back to dealership for def system error, the shaking that occurs when in regen, and the erratic shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 sometimes, all within less than 9 months and 10k, i am about ready to jump ship. This engineer on tuesday better have some answers!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:06 AM

the engineer will not have answers, trust me. only solution to the problem as of now is to do a full delete and h&s/spartan programmer.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM

Well....truck is still at dealership, the engineer admitted to them that there is a problem, but he does not know what the fix is, and is waiting to hear back from his "higher ups" as to what to do. The dealership and tech are at a loss until they get a green light from ford as to what to do, as ford will not authorize any work or parts until they know what they are doing.

Sounds like to me i am getting to be a guinea pig, they know there is a problem, but they don't know how to fix it. The better figure it out, or this thing is hitting the road soon...and it won't be for another ford!

The guys at the dealership are very sympathetic with my problems/concerns and understand completely where i am coming from. In fact the one service writer said it is a bunch of BS and that he wishes he could fix the problem! Ford needs to step up to the plate, or they will be losing one die hard ford fan!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:55 PM

did the h&s and all deletes and the truck runs great!!! way more power even on the stock setting and no more surging. truck should have came like this from the factory. damn tree huggers.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you are at elevation and under load good luck with a fix. I have an early build 2011 that I just won a lemon law case on for this same issue. It is a known issue with the exhaust system under high heat and at elevation that they have been working on a fix for since late last year. It almost always happens right after the "cleaning exhaust filter" warning. My truck was in for 10 repair attempts and out of service for 81 days over the last 16 months. Problem is 90% plus of Ford consumers are at low elevation so the problem is not getting much attention. I hate to hear this is going on with the 2012 builds because the arbitrator awarded me a replacement so maybe my problems are not over yet! It started as a simple bogging down and shudder, then over time progressed to a pretty obvious shaking with a loud knocking noise coming from under the truck. During their search for a fix they have replaced the turbo, NOX sensor, MAF sensor, reflashed the computer several times, and lastly had regional engineering custom flash the computer. It only occurs during regen and only at elevation. It occurs more frequently during the heat of the summer (2-3 times daily). I think the only true fix will be a exhaust delete kit.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have you thought about contacting NHTSA about the issues? I think this is the mechanism to get a recall.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.