Emission Fluid Fault Problem - NOX Module - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Emission Fluid Fault Problem - NOX Module

I hate that my first post here is a problem post, but maybe someone on this forum can help me locate the part on some form of dealer trade. I also have seen several other threads with similar problems so I felt this should be posted here (I originally posted this on Dieselstop). I think new Super Duty owners should have an idea of what they are looking at for parts availability, etc. I read the horror stories on the forums and thought surely that is just a tiny percent, but it happened to me!

I have a 2012 F-350 SRW with the 6.7 Diesel that I purchased Thursday, March 8th. It currently has about 2500 miles on it.

Soon after purchase, it came up with a warning on the information screen. I do not remember exactly how it was phrased but it said essentially "Emission Fluid Fault. In 50 miles your speed will be limited." It also had a small warning light that looks like droplets and waves of water on the bottom right side of the screen. I believe this was march 19th. We took it to the dealership and they reflashed the computer and replaced a sensor (EGR or EGT) and said that should take care of it.

The next incident was the weekend of March 25th. It displayed the same warning again so I parked the truck Sunday night. When I hit "ok" to clear the big warning, it kept the small warning light in the lower right corner. I was going to take it into the dealership Monday morning but when I started it, the code was cleared, so I continued to drive it.

The third incident was Monday April 2nd. It again displayed the same code but cleared itself after I turned it off to fuel up. I had a service appointment for a DVD install on Thursday, so when I dropped it off Thursday morning I asked them to check it out again. Check for codes, possible damaged DEF line, possible bad injector, etc. They kept it for the day and gave me the all clear.

The fourth incident was Saturday, April 7th. it did it AGAIN. My wife was driving the truck and she called to tell me that the light came on and the countdown to limit speed started again. She was out of town and the truck went into limp mode at would not go over 50mph. Of note, a second warning came on to tell her she only had 300 miles left of DEF fluid. I do not know if this is related in any way, but the truck only has 2500 miles on it.

She stopped at the dealership and dropped off the truck. I will say here that the dealership was great and the sales guys pulled a clean used car off the lot and gave it to her as a loaner since service was closed. I posted about this on DieselStop and was approached by Corey in Ford Customer Care. I gave him all of the information and received a call from the regional customer care rep on Tuesday April 10th. She told me that my case had been bumped as a priority and that she would get back to me soon with an eta for the parts that I needed (NOX Sensor and NOX Module).

Today, Wednesday, April 11th, I spoke with regional customer service rep. They advised me that because my claim had been escalated and is a priority, they should have my parts the week of April 23rd and that hopefully I can have them here between Wednesday and Friday of that week. Best case scenario, If my parts get installed on Wednesday April 25th, I will have been without my truck for 21 days. If the parts show on Friday, that will be 23 days total in the shop provided the dealer can get it done the same day they were delivered. I bought it March 8th!

I told the customer service rep that I thought that was completely unacceptable. Her only real response was "were you provided with a rental car?" Yes, but I cannot haul my 5th wheel or work trailers, do not have a garage door opener, does not have my toll road tag, etc. I cannot believe they feel that makes this okay. I want my truck that I bought and am making payments on!

The fact that this is a well documented problem on this site and others should be an indicator to Ford that maybe they should keep spares parts on hand.

My dealership and the service department have been great by providing me cars, etc. but I think that a new truck spending almost a month in a service department when it has 2500 miles on it is just a shame. I am sorry for the rant, but I am just so frustrated with this situation that I cannot think rationally.

BTW if any of you are at a dealership that has a spare NOX module, is there anyway to do a transfer from one dealership to another on parts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM

I had the exact same thing happen to my '12. Bought it first part of March, not two or three weeks later and only 1800 miles i got the exact same warning message. Diesel exhaust fluid system fault, your speed will be limited in 50 miles. Happened on a friday night, took it to dealerhship first thing monday morning. They reflashed the computer and said it was a programming glitch, and that it should be fine now? I now have 2500 miles and no more problems yet (knock on wood), except my tranny shifts like ****!!

They did nothing to mine except reflash, what parts are they throwing at yours now? When was your build date, would be curious to see if they have similar dates.

I sure hope mine doesn't start acting like yours, because if it does i will take it right back to the dealership and trade it in on a dodge. I was on the fence to begin with, but this sort of crap would definately push me over the edge. If they don't make my tranny shift right soon, i may be jumping ship anyhow, it's rediculous to spend 50k++ on these new trucks, and they can't make them reliable??? I never had so many problems with my 08 6.4??

My truck is at the dealership as we speak, for poor tranny shifting, clicking noise coming from steering column when turning wheel, and a blemish in the rear bumper (looks like something ate through the chrome plating in a bunch of spots).

Keep us posted, incase i start having the same issues....

Last edited by Rob; 06-09-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've read of a bad DEF sensor getting replace with the same warnings.
You . . . are . . . refilling . . . the . . . DEF . . . right? Just asking.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, we checked the DEF fluid each time. 2nd trip to service the entire DEF system was checked over for any physical problems such as low fluid, kinked or crushed lines, etc. Techs are saying I need a new NOX module and NOX sensor.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Darkshadow, I am not sure on the build date and do not have it here (at dealer!) so I cannot answer that. We did the reflash, etc. but it just kept happening. Now need new NOX module and sensor, but they do not have the spares. My problem is we spend all of this money for a truck and then there is no parts support. I know they have the parts on the assembly line, but we have to wait 3 or more weeks when we just bought trucks? I do not agree with that at all.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I've read of a bad DEF sensor getting replace with the same warnings.
You . . . are . . . refilling . . . the . . . DEF . . . right? Just asking.
IF YOU WOULD HAVE READ THE POST YOU CAN SEE THAT HE FILLED THE DEF AND IT ONLY HELD 1.5 GALLONS. IN BOTH CASES THE TRUCKS HAD LESS THAN 2500 MILES AND WERE NOT LOW ON DEF.

Yes we know how & where the DEF goes, THANKS!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadowgray08 View Post
IF YOU WOULD HAVE READ THE POST YOU CAN SEE THAT HE FILLED THE DEF AND IT ONLY HELD 1.5 GALLONS. IN BOTH CASES THE TRUCKS HAD LESS THAN 2500 MILES AND WERE NOT LOW ON DEF.

Yes we know how & where the DEF goes, THANKS!
I have read about people putting it in the wrong hole.....but since his war done at the dealer I would hope it was done correctly

sent from ^^^ his phone with jedi mind tricks
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM

This just in:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R12B33.pdf (143.4 KB, 587 views)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

M90 Ranger, the problem sounds very similar, but my truck was built late January 2012 and I can't remember the last time it was below 80 here in the past 2 months! Central Texas gets pretty warm this time of year!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update Feb. 13th: Spoke with my service advisor this morning. He told me that he as contacted by Ford engineering and they think they have a solution. Apparently there is a different NOX module that has a part number that is almost identical except that the last number is different. They told my dealer that they would send this part and that if they install it and reflash based on it being a different part, that it should work okay.

I hope that we can get it resolved once and for all, but don't know if we should just wait one more week for the "correct" part or try this fix? I am a little concerned about putting in a different part than what it was built with just to expedite things, but if Ford engineering feels confident we can certainly try. Of course if we try it and it does not work in a week, then the correct part should be available and they will have shaved 7 days off of the count for my truck being in the shop (I can be paranoid but I try to consider all angles). Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on this or have any of the techs on this board installed a different NOX module?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.