F550 Turbo Lag - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F550 Turbo Lag

Hi guys, first post here, but i have a 2011 F550 with the 6.7. I also own an '02 F550 with the 7.3. I thought that had turbo lag. The new truck's is far worse. From a dead stop, there is next to no power, then BAM! it takes off like a rocket. Fairly annoying and possibly dangerous. When it is really a problem is plowing. No power when you need it Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

I know the 550 is a slightly different beast but have you had it in for any programing updates? My recent update removed the lag i was having though it sounds yours is way more annoying.

Josh
Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I know they're different, but I'm not sure where to post this (if I'm in the wrong section, lemme know where to post it up). Picked the truck up as a leftover in early November and this past storm was the first time plowing it. Supposedly the dealer did all the updates.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

I didnt mean that man. I just ment i dont know much about the 550 other they are different than my 350 . They are freaking sweet though. I would go back since you just got and ask wtf.

Josh
Old 01-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, Appt made for tomorrow
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Come back with result. Results are always good to hear.

Josh
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How many miles on your 550? The cab and chassis trucks are a little laggy but the ones that are worse than others usually have small underlying concerns. Also since it's an 11 make sure it has the latest calibration in the PCM, there have been updates released that may help this.

I have put a few turbos in the cab and chassis trucks. There is a known concern with the impeller contacting the housing and wearing out prematurely. I have seen them leaking exhaust pressure out of the center housing too. Hearing any unusual noises under the hood?

The EBP tube likes to leak on these things too, some I've seen were really bad. while the related TSB doesn't state anything about it causing a drivability concern I can't imagine an incorrect EBP reading would not negatively affect the operation of the VGT turbo
Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck only has 1300 miles, and no sounds that are immediately apparent, but I'll listen for some tomorrow. Thanks again guys
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

lag

we run a 550 also at work, loaded pretty heavy, turbo lag was terrible, like a on off switch, truck also started to miss pulling up hills, sounded like the turbo was dumping anyways took the truck to the dealer for a updated program and wow its like a totally differant truck, cant remember the update number but I can check the sticker under the hood if you need it
Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Well this scares me. Just ordered a f450 cab and chassis and was gonna order another one to replace the other truck. I hope they get this bug worked out with the turbos. Keep us posted. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.