Burning smell from under truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Burning smell from under truck

My 2011 F350 has about 7500 miles now. From day one I always noticed a burning smell after I shut the truck down which appears to be coming from underneath the truck somewhere. Not too strong but definitely noticeable.

Has anyone heard of an issue like this?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Maybe your just starting to burn off the oils and paint off the engine. I've never heard of one burning down yet ......... oh, maybe not so funny.

I guess crawl underneath and look for any obvious signs of burning.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've had that happen a couple of times when I didn't drive the truck for at least 20 minutes after the filter cleaning started. Not a real strong "hey it's on fire smell" but a "hmm I think I smell something burning" smell. Do you have a short commute or take a lot of quick trips around town? Could just be that you're not putting enough miles on it when the burn-off starts.

I myself would like the cleaning message to stay up on the info screen until the operator hits the 'ok' button. It's only on for a moment and I mostly miss it.

of course, like 99 said, couldn't hurt to take a look and make sure something isn't rubbing on the exhaust or that some small leak isn't jetting hot exhaust on to something... these things can get some kinda hot, that's for sure.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I crawled under there and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The service dept at the dealer said the cat conv gets really hot during regen and that might be the cause of the smell.
I do usually drive short distances.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 PM

My money is on a regen taking place, and the truck not being driven far enough to let the DPF cool down.

I have stopped immediately after a regen a couple of times, and could smell what you are talking about. No big deal.....my 6.4 did the same right after a regen.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Mine did that when it was brand new. I thought something was wrong, turns out, I think it was just the new burning off. Doesn't do it now with 25k on the clock.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveman View Post
My 2011 F350 has about 7500 miles now. From day one I always noticed a burning smell after I shut the truck down which appears to be coming from underneath the truck somewhere. Not too strong but definitely noticeable.

Thanks in advance!
========================================
After my last oil change, I started getting smoke and smell of burning rubber. I stopped and out came a huge cloud of black smoke from my left front wheel well, I thought oh damn and trip to open my Hood but it didn't pop up when released. I fine pulled it up enough to release the catch and smoke just rolled out, I had to step back.. Well I found a rubber glove laying on the inside fender flange where the Hood Bumper rest when locked and its mate had fallen down onto the hot manifold and melted.. It took the next two weeks to get rid of the smell.. When I got back from my trip.. I took the one glove back to Ford and gave them the present and they present it back to the owner hahahaha Ford inspected to make sure no fire damage done to my Diesel wiring and sent me on my way...
Thanks I love this forum..
djc1208
Old 11-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveman View Post

Thanks in advance!
========================================
After my last oil change, I started getting smoke and smell of burning rubber. I stopped and out came a huge cloud of black smoke from my left front wheel well, I thought oh damn and trip to open my Hood but it didn't pop up when released. I fine pulled it up enough to release the catch and smoke just rolled out, I had to step back.. Well I found a rubber glove laying on the inside fender flange where the Hood Bumper rest when locked and its mate had fallen down onto the hot manifold and melted.. It took the next two weeks to get rid of the smell.. When I got back from my trip.. I took the one glove back to Ford and gave them the present and they present it back to the owner hahahaha Ford inspected to make sure no fire damage done to my Diesel wiring and sent me on my way...
Thanks I love this forum..
djc1208
Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

I have just over 5k on mine and I have noticed that smell several times. My wife even mentioned it the other day. I think it is just burning off the new, it like others have said stuck in a regen cycle.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide App
Old 11-19-2011, 03:05 AM

I smell this during my Regen's so I'm to worried...will keep on the back burner though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.