truck wont start after water drain - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 01:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck wont start after water drain

Just drained the water out of 2011 f 350 for the 1st time. Pretty easy to just turn the yellow knob, drain and screw back on. Problem now is truck just cranks but wont turn over. Anyone ever experience this? What did I do wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 03:21 PM

Ok I got my truck started. I read the powerstroke diesel supplement that came in the owners manual and it says to wait till you get the message on your dash about too much water in the DFCM and then drain for approx 25 secs or until you see clean fuel pouring out. Not only did I not have that message, that thing drained for approx 25mins. Needless to say I drained all the water and all the fuel thats supposed to be in there. Ok I'll accept the idiot of the month award but I thought I would post this so anyone else thats not too familiar with the drain procedure can learn from my mistake.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sometimes, it's the only way to learn. I'm new to these also and finally figured out how to do this so don't feel too bad, we can share the trophy together...
Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I drain mine once a week, I'm going to wait for it to tell me I have a water issue...the damage might already be done.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 AM

Yes....drain a minimum of at least once a month.

Never, ever wait for the message in your dash......at this point it may be too late to save the fuel system.

If you do see the message, stop ASAP and get her towed to the dealership. Not worth taking a chance with $12K fuel system that will not be warrantied by Ford due to contaminated fuel.

Finally, keep every fuel receipt.....
Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 AM

My light came on at about 20 k never changed it then after 45k and after the two fuel filters were changed it came on again . They told me you don't have to drain it it drains when changing the filters. Is this true? I have 55k now and never done it
Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markab71 View Post
I drain mine once a week, I'm going to wait for it to tell me I have a water issue...the damage might already be done.
What damage are you refering to???
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you wait for the water if fuel light to tell you that you have a problem, it may have damaged the fuel system already. From what I hear it does not take much at all to rack up a $12,000 bill. Five minutes ATLEAST once a month can save you alot of money.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markab71 View Post
I think you meant your not going to wait for the message center to tell you theres a problem. My bad...
Old 11-23-2011, 12:51 AM

so 25 minutes, was there any fuel left in the tank I don't know if they still sell it, but I used to see packages of desiccant that you would hang in the fuel tank. it pulls the moisture out of the fuel just like those "tasty" lil packages they toss in with electronics and stuff. the water filter pretty much takes out the water that is above the saturation point of diesel fuel and is trying to separate already. the desiccant will reduce the water that is dissolved in the fuel. in more humid areas it might help. the other thing is if you are going to park it for a longer time period fill the tank before, warm garages in winter and part fuel tank is a verr bad combination
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.