diesel dumping out all over from under hood somewhere - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation diesel dumping out all over from under hood somewhere

Hello everyone. First I am driving a 2011 f350 crew cab lariat short box diesel. Two days ago a "low fuel pressure" warning came on on my dash. I phoned ford right away to see when they could look at it. They said the next morning. Okay I said see ya then. On my way into ford the next morning of course the warning didn't come back on but as I got close to the dealer I smelt diesel. Very strongly. But I was only a few mins from there so I kept going. I pulled up right in front of the service doors and shut the truck off hopped out and noticed right away my truck was literally spraying diesel underneath the hood from somewhere and alll over under my truck and onto the ground. WTF I thought. So fast forwarding a bit. It was the fuel pressure sensor that failed and will be. A couple days to wait for parts. So there goes may long. F#CK. Soooo any opinions on how dangerous this actually was. Has this happened to anyone else. I know diesel is harder than gas to ignite but would u say I got lucky there wasn't an explosion? Opinions thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

On my '01 Dodge I had a loose injector connection that was spraying fuel onto the block. Could have started a fire, wouldn't have exploded unless I added gasoline or pressurized the leak by putting it in the piston.

You might have been using up an extinguisher but not worrying about shrapnel IMHO.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Like Nthorseman said, diesel won't combust if it's not under extreme pressure. Sure it'll burn real slow but even that requires a significant amount of heat. Sorry to hear about what happened though.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to somebodyelse5
Unless your motor was running insanely hot (above 410 deg F) the diesel will not auto-ignite. That is, just light on fire due to the heat. Its not good to be leaking diesel, but nothing should be exploding!

heres the link, scroll down and you will see the table with flash points and auto-ignite values.
Flash point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a loose injector on my 03 Dodge and I sprayed people following me for about 15 miles before somebody said something. The part that sucked was the smell of diesel for about a month after it was fixed. I think they forgot to put an O-ring around one of the injectors.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any update on what came of this? I just got mine yesterday, and it is doing the same thing.

Reading online everything points to a loose line or cracked seal that should be easy to replace. If the injectors are tossing fuel, I'm having them take the truck back.....
Old 10-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Any Updates?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes actually. I took my truck back and got a different one. The dealer did fix it before I was done with the papers. Fuel line has a one time use clip going into the passenger side of the motor.

They replaced the entire fuel line, which fixed the leak (allegedly).

I didn't care at that point to ask more questions, since I was getting another, and having to reseal my asphalt driveway after the stains it left me.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latetowork View Post
Yes actually. I took my truck back and got a different one. The dealer did fix it before I was done with the papers. Fuel line has a one time use clip going into the passenger side of the motor.

They replaced the entire fuel line, which fixed the leak (allegedly).

I didn't care at that point to ask more questions, since I was getting another, and having to reseal my asphalt driveway after the stains it left me.
How are ya liking the New one?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I love it. It's still in learning mode, and the shift points are different than my 6.4 (my 6.4 never downshifted around the hills in my area). The new 6.7 floats a bit between gears, but I will get used to it.

Haven't really pulled my boat other than a 12 mile trip to the local lake one last time for the year, so don't have a feel for it on the highway.

The seats are nicer, the steering is a bit differing (tighter turning radius) and the acceleration is better.

I am averaging 17.1 on the lie ometer over the first 1k miles so...... it's a win so far.

I will tell you though, I had a hell of an experience after the first one dropped fuel on the ground, then trying to get the truck towed back on a Sunday and replacing the truck over a holiday. It was 4 days total that I want back, but never will. Something I will keep in mind the next time I get a new truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.