6.7 hill decent and smell - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 hill decent and smell

im new to the site because i havnt had any problems with my 6L knock on wood but my dad just bought a new 6.7 and i was driving it today with 160 miles on it and the exhaust clean thing came on then turned off not even 5 seconds later... then five minutes later it did it again.. how often is this happening. also it parked it and it seemed to smell and i havnt smelt anything like it beforeso im just assuming it is the new diesel smell. and last but not least. i feel the hill decent is useless if anyone knows any info about it please fill me in. thanks in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is normal for the "cleaning exhaust filter" message to only remain on for less than 5 seconds. I usually don't notice it until I check fuel mileage and see the the ~10 minute drop in mileage. It is abnormal however for the message to come back on five minutes later (I have never noticed it anyway). The smell you observed is normal and it is the particulates being combusted in the filter. It reminds me of melting/burning wire insulation, and chemically it isn't dramatically different. It is a little unnerving the first time you smell it, but I was lucky in that I did happen to notice the "cleaning" message just 5 minutes before parking the truck.

For the hill decent operation, were you in 4WD and going less than 20mph? If you are referring to the 'exhaust break' like feature, this isn't it. I haven't completely figured that one out either, but it appears to involve using the cruise control. I would appreciate someone else's suggestions on this as well.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Hill Descent works excellent. I've used mine on an old tank test track with 45 slopes on it. Set it at the top at 5 mph and let it go. It immediately began holding back using the anti-lock braking system all the way to the bottom. Very useful.

Exhaust brake works only in Tow Haul Mode or manual mode on the shifter. Tap the brake once to engage it, tap it again to drop a gear and get stronger braking. It is only affective over 2,000 RPM but works best over 3,000. It also works very well in conjunction with the Cruise Control. I can set my speed at 65 mph at the top with 18k behind me and it never gets over 68 mph going down 6%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.