DEF problems anyone? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DEF problems anyone?

We just bought 3 2011 F250s. I've been driving one that has 350 miles, message came on Friday that let me know "Pee is containmented, will be limited to 55mph in 198 miles" WTH?? I haven't even added any new pee and this truck already needs to go back to the dealer.

I sure hope this is not a tell tale sign of the future with our 3 new ones. These trucks have to be super reliable(our 7.3s/6.0s have NOT been).

Also, anyone know why the 2011 Cummins doesn't have this retarded system? We have 7 of those, none have it. That means GM and Ford are the only 2 at this time?

thanks ya'll

Last edited by Rob; 03-27-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 346ci View Post
We just bought 3 2011 F250s. I've been driving one that has 350 miles, message came on Friday that let me know "Pee is containmented, will be limited to 55mph in 198 miles" WTH?? I haven't even added any new pee and this truck already needs to go back to the dealer.

I sure hope this is not a tell tale sign of the future with our 3 new ones. These trucks have to be super reliable(our 7.3s/6.0s have NOT been).

Also, anyone know why the 2011 Cummins doesn't have this retarded system? We have 7 of those, none have it. That means GM and Ford are the only 2 at this time?

thanks ya'll
BET YOU 1 MILLION THAT WHO EVER SOLD IT TO YA PUT WATER IN IT.

The reductant system uses a selective reduction catalyst to improve exhaust emissions and fuel efficiency by injecting a reductant into the exhaust system. The reductant, also referred to as diesel exhaust fluid, is a 32.5% solution of urea in deionized water. The reductant system reduces Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) present in the exhaust stream to nitrogen and water.

32.5% IS THE MAGIC NUMBER. I HAVE HEARD ALOT OF DEALER DO THIS NOT KNOWING HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS. YOU SHOULD ASK THEM HOW MANY OF THERE TECH WENT TO 6.7 SCHOOL.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
chysler is running on emissions credits. basically they pay fines to the EPA for looking the other way for a few years while they update their trucks to meet new requirements

you'll love your ford compared to that dodge, believe me, give it some time
Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I just recently fixed a 2011 that didn't make it to its first oil change, before the owner went and topped up his DEF tank with DIESEL FUEL CETANE BOOSTER. That was a $5000 lesson that I hope he, and everyone else who owns one will learn.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
I just recently fixed a 2011 that didn't make it to its first oil change, before the owner went and topped up his DEF tank with DIESEL FUEL CETANE BOOSTER. That was a $5000 lesson that I hope he, and everyone else who owns one will learn.
Ohhhhhh man . Wonder if he just grabbed the wrong stuff on accident ? Ouch .
Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 346ci View Post

thanks ya'll
ok this is what is going on with dodge my friend!!! this article was writtin by; My Carlady and i quote his article

When I first wrote about the (at that time) release of the 6.7L Cummins Diesel from Dodge, I was covering the issue of Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel, the new engine, exhaust systems being developed by the manufacturers to meet EPA emissions regulations. I canít recall a time that so much anger and frustration has been levied against an automobile manufacturer and the manufacturer has turned a deaf ear. The NHTSA has not recalled the truck. Millions of dollars have changed hands and thousands of Dodge Ram 2500/3500 owners have been left in the lurch. Not only have they been loyal to Cummins, only to be shafted by Dodge, but knowing the issue exists in the Ford Power-stroke, has left many wondering what to drive? DODGE hasnít figured out what to do about the litany of complaints and their fixes and flashes have failed to resolve the problem. With the threat of bankruptcy looming overhead, many Dodge owners are seeking legal advice to salvage a buy-back before the factorysí liability

Iíve sold Dodge-Jeep and Chrysler products for years, but seeing and hearing about the way Chrysler is treating their loyal Dodge Cummins owners makes my blood boil. You canít blame tree huggers or the EPA, they are not at fault. Everyone wants to breathe clean air and leave an unpolluted earth for the next generation. The real culprits are the factory bean-counters that rushed a product to market that wasnít ready, and has failed the consumer when these problems arose. You wonít see many 2009 Diesels around because the factory knows there are problems in the black hole and no way to fix it without redesigning the entire fuel/exhaust system.

Come on Chrysler, step-up and do the right thing. RECALL these trucks and give the folks their money back . Get out of the game until Cummins tells you the engine/exhaust works to EPA specs. The problems mentioned below are a sampling of issues Dodge has yet to fix

this is his article YOU CAN KEEP YOUR DODGE ILL DRIVE A TOYOTA BEFORE A DODGE.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
HAHAHAHA OUCH FIRST TIME I HEARD THAT ONE we had a guy put ww fluid in his it just set a light. so i just cammanded pump on and pumped out all the fluid.then refilled it. AND I KEPT THE NEAT JUG. LOL
Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Quote:
wow....

what all was damaged from that mistake??
Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Night View Post
Ohhhhhh man . Wonder if he just grabbed the wrong stuff on accident ? Ouch .
Actually, his low DEF warning indicator alerted him to the need to top up his DEF, so he stopped by his local Canadian Tire (the Canadian Equivalent to Pep Boys) to purchase a gallon of what he thought to be the fluid needed.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGERNAUT View Post
HAHAHAHA OUCH FIRST TIME I HEARD THAT ONE we had a guy put ww fluid in his it just set a light. so i just cammanded pump on and pumped out all the fluid.then refilled it. AND I KEPT THE NEAT JUG. LOL
I don't know what the effects of putting in windshield washer fluid would be, be I know putting in fuel cetane booster will cause either the pump not to work any more or the internal seals to swell up and prevent fluid from flowing, at least it did in the case of the truck that rolled into my bay while I was attempting to carry out the dosing test. Sure enough, as confirmed by Ford Hotline, EVERYTHING in the SCR system needed to be replaced, and all diagnostics and repair wa considered NON-WARRANTABLE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.